CrowdSpring or 99designs like bidding site for 3D modelers and product engineers?

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by 289406_deleted, Jan 16, 2013.

3D modeling bit site

Poll closed Jan 31, 1970.
  1. I'd use it for every job

40.0%
  2. Would be nice for price and complexity discovery

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I prefer to work with specific company design departments

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'm my own modeler and product creator

40.0%
  5. Using simple forum/email/classifieds is good enough

20.0%
  1. Hello, everybody.

I've been working on a product idea which lands itself very nicely with 3DP process. However I'm facing some engineering challenges.

Does any one know of a site/service similar to 99designs bidding system only for professional 3D printed products modelers/engineers? Google does not seem to be helpful.

Also, I'm curious if there were such a place - how useful would that be to this community? If you have 10 seconds, I'd appreciate you taking the attached poll.

Thank you guys.

2. Let me know if you find a site

3. Free Lancers

4. elopez3d
    elopez3d Well-Known Member
  5. It wouldn't work. 3D modelling takes too long to do on spec.

6. I disagree, I have done a few on specs, calculate the time I think it will take me to do it, and charge that way.

7. What I mean is, no one is going to do 3D modelling in the 99designs format. No one is going to spend 6-12 hours on a model when dozens of other people are building the same model for the change at the same prize. It's silly.

8. True, to a point. Depending on the model and its difficulty I am sure some wouldn't but I do it. and it pays off Elance is the best site I think. there are now like 30 or 50 jobs posted a day for 3d modeling .. If its a simple one , I will bid on it. usually the ones that wanted something modeled to be print ready.
    So its already being done. And maybe its just me, I can can actually create a 3d model a lot faster than creating a 2d image in photoshop. so for me its worth it.

9. FabMeJewelry
    FabMeJewelry Member
    I think it would work just fine.

About 75% of the 3DPrinted models are designed in a few hours while thinking up a good design often takes much more time.

For a designer with enough experience it won't be that difficult to calculate the time it would take to design something and see if it's worth it.

I see it as a contest just like the iphone5 contest here on shapeways, many have designed the same thing and only a few get sales.
    Who dous'nt like competing with others? it's all we do in life !

10. What a silly thing to say. 3D models take hours and hours to produce, especially if you expect them to print faithfully. If you're thinking of getting anything sculpted in Zbrush by a real artist, forget about it.

What you will get with a site like that is a bunch of 3D artist wannabes. Yes, people will do it, but the work will be sub-par. Have you ever seen those free 3D model download sites? That's the quality that this will attract. No professional is going to waste their time in what amounts to a crap-shoot contest.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  11. Look at some of the things in my shop. yes some took hours to create while others just an hour. The software, or software's that I use make them print ready with a few clicks after modeling. Sorry but I have made plenty of money and still doing so and all my clients are happy with what they get. Like I said yes some models take hours, sometimes days depending on the complexity. I mentioned that before. But there are a lot more that I can get done in say an hours time. Maybe I m just that good ;)

12. Maybe you need to update the software you are using, just a thought