Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Community » General Discussion » FCS: Any non printable colours?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
FCS: Any non printable colours? [message #60318] Wed, 16 January 2013 21:52 UTC Go to next message
avatar Psychobob  is currently offline Psychobob
Go to my shop
Hello!

Are there any colours shapeways does not print?

For instance, when you use a normal printer to print on A4 paper, 99% of printers will not print the colour white, instead they just interpret any white areas as something they don't lay ink down on as the paper is already white.

Is there any similarities with FCS where it doesn't actually print white (or any other colour) as the material is naturally white or for any other reason?

Hope that makes some sense, I just read it back to myself and I'm not 100% it does!

Check out my blog on my 3D print projects:
http://www.psychobob.co.uk

And here's my Shapeways shop!
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/PsychobobArts
Re: FCS: Any non printable colours? [message #60323 is a reply to message #60318 ] Wed, 16 January 2013 23:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The material is naturally white, and the printer does not have a white ink.

Check this video at the 1:10 mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHxp9Ail6MY You can see the print cartridges.

The printer seems to have a problem with dark colors. Check this model: http://shpws.me/lUx1 The far outside edge is supposed to be black, but that first step of colors in from here isn't supposed to be completely black.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: FCS: Any non printable colours? [message #60424 is a reply to message #60323 ] Sat, 19 January 2013 16:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
Co-Founder
When did you order *that* sample? Quality should be much better than that with white being crisp and bright.
Gonna have a look into it.
Re: FCS: Any non printable colours? [message #60426 is a reply to message #60424 ] Sat, 19 January 2013 16:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Quoting stonysmith from another thread in this forum (Jan 10)
Quote:

Please understand.. the photograph is of a print made 18 months ago

so this is probably from the "old" process. Compare kaetemi's posting from November 2011here with images from the "old" and "new" process.
(And no, I would not have dug up this old stuff myself if it had not been brought up by kaetemi last week in response to a similar question in the Post-Production forum. How about adding such images to the materials page for FCS ??)
Re: FCS: Any non printable colours? [message #60430 is a reply to message #60426 ] Sat, 19 January 2013 20:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Kaetemi  is currently offline Kaetemi
Go to my shop
I managed to get a really nice and subtle glow effect here on the black http://twitpic.com/bwkyzg - the trick is not to use pure black when doing that. Pure black doesn't exist anyways.

Kaetemi
Re: FCS: Any non printable colours? [message #60432 is a reply to message #60424 ] Sat, 19 January 2013 20:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
pete wrote on Sat, 19 January 2013 16:26

When did you order *that* sample? Quality should be much better than that with white being crisp and bright.
Gonna have a look into it.

That sample was ordered in May of 2011 You need to know that the whole sample is only lke 1/2 inch across, so the pads are very small and a good bit of the bleeding between pads is due to the small size.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: FCS: Any non printable colours? [message #60443 is a reply to message #60432 ] Sun, 20 January 2013 08:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Kaetemi  is currently offline Kaetemi
Go to my shop
As for colors that you can't print... Colors that require a delicate ink mix are risky. Light brown may go purple/green, slightly blueish white and slightly blueish grays may go slightly greenish.

Kaetemi
Re: FCS: Any non printable colours? [message #60444 is a reply to message #60318 ] Sun, 20 January 2013 11:39 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Calistotash  is currently offline Calistotash
Go to my shop
I've actually had quite a good run so far with colour printing. Everything I've printed has come out pretty exact to my models. It even handles gradients quite well. In my latest prototype though, I did discover that it made a rather bright yellow a little bit green. Otherwise, the updated process is a lot better, just take a look in my shop if you want to see examples.

Previous Topic:Unable to upload model
Next Topic:Staples Introduces 3D Printing Service... in Netherlands

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.