Home » Community » General Discussion » Material Suggestion: Gold tinted Alumide
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Material Suggestion: Gold tinted Alumide [message #60314] Wed, 16 January 2013 20:54 UTC Go to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
Hey hey,

I'm making an assumption here with this suggestion.

We know that Alumide is made with a mixture of aluminum particles, and nylon particles. I'm assuming that the nylon are grey in colour. Is that true?

And if so, I can see a nice sparkly light gold material by pairing light buttercup gold nylon particles with aluminum particles.

index.php?t=getfile&id=25708&private=0

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: Material Suggestion: Gold tinted Alumide [message #60315 is a reply to message #60314 ] Wed, 16 January 2013 20:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Long time no see Whystler!

I'll see if I can dig up the composition of Alumide

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Material Suggestion: Gold tinted Alumide [message #60316 is a reply to message #60315 ] Wed, 16 January 2013 21:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Phanx YKW4E

Smile

Re: Material Suggestion: Gold tinted Alumide [message #60322 is a reply to message #60316 ] Wed, 16 January 2013 23:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Alumide is PA22 Nylon mixed with Aluminum powder. The nylon is the same as they use for WSF. The gray color comes from the Aluminum.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Material Suggestion: Gold tinted Alumide [message #60326 is a reply to message #60322 ] Thu, 17 January 2013 00:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop

Darnit ... It would have been an easier solution if alumides nylon particles were died prior...

The properties of WSF are really great for strong models made with little material with a decent cost. The colours options are great for funky fun fashion models. Alumide is nice for it's space grey look with a hint of glitz. But if you want something a little more classic, heading towards a magical vintage, it sure would be nice to have a yellowed version of alumide.

-Whystler

Re: Material Suggestion: Gold tinted Alumide [message #60353 is a reply to message #60326 ] Thu, 17 January 2013 13:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
Co-Founder
Hi Whystler,

long time no see Smile Good to see you here again!

Regarding your idea, I'll ping the Product team today.
We will have a look.

best,
Pete
Re: Material Suggestion: Gold tinted Alumide [message #60355 is a reply to message #60314 ] Thu, 17 January 2013 14:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I kind of want to try this with an Alumide piece now. Closest thing I could find to turning Aluminum colors chemically.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Material Suggestion: Gold tinted Alumide [message #60360 is a reply to message #60355 ] Thu, 17 January 2013 14:52 UTC Go to previous message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
I fear this will just dissolve the Al and precipitate a brownish-black slurry of copper *everywhere*, but you will not
get it to form any (gold-colored) aluminum bronzes (Cu-Al intermetallics) under these conditions.
Confused

Previous Topic:Shapeways models and objects now integrated in 3d printing search engine
Next Topic:Color

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.