Model Preview -- upside down and backwards

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by lanceatkins, Jan 13, 2013.

1. lanceatkins
    lanceatkins Member
    Hi guys,

I'm building in SolidWorks and exporting files as .STL

Surely someone else has run into this... All my uploaded models then appear upside down and backwards... basically the least logical 'orientation' for my model preview to be generated in. Is there an easy way to fix this in Shapeways... or I guess I'll just have to convert my axes in SolidWorks? Any experiences help.

2. Oh yes, I believe a few have gone through this problem.(cackles). SW's idea of which axis is up, forward differs from some programs. You have two options to remedy this quirk,
    1. replace the SW display render with another image of your model,
    2..Just experiment and find out what axis in your program correlates with SW's axis,then rotate you model. In Blender its z axis is Shapeways Y(up). it's -y axis is Sw's +X axis(forward). For a stl.

3. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    In your software, take a screen shot or render of the model's orientation you wish the model to be viewed in and upload that, then set the image as the default image.

Tith the default render, it doesn't matter which orientation your model is displayed in as when printed, the model is orientated to best fit the build platform.

Paul
    [hr][hr]