Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Support » 3D Printing » Printing orientation and material strength, for SLS
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Printing orientation and material strength, for SLS [message #59913] Wed, 09 January 2013 15:35 UTC
avatar thomashuang.net  is currently offline thomashuang.net
Go to my shop
I'm trying to decide print orientation for a local SLS printer for my parts. I'm considering the three main materials PA, PA-GF, and Alumide. I know that the z-axis strength is weaker than the x-y, so a thin ring would be stronger if printed flat instead of standing on its side.

But by how much?

For appearance, and other factors, I prefer to print my parts with the ring standing on its side to hide the stepping lines on other surfaces of my model, but I'm worried that this would weaken the part too much.

I'm looking at the EOS materials data center:
http://eos.materialdatacenter.com/eo/standard/main/compare

PA properties appear to be the same in all axis, except the "strain at break" of the Z (10%) is half of the X-Y (20%). Does this mean it is weaker in the Z-axis, or is it just as strong as the X-Y but half as flexible?

PA-GF shows weaker properties in all values in the Z-axis, but still stronger than PA.

Alumide is completely missing the Z-axis data.

Thanks

Previous Topic:Are earring hooks included by shapeway team when you upload a earring model for selling purpose?
Next Topic:1/6th to 1/12th scale Action Figure Head - Best material?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.