Home » Support » 3D Printing » Can Up! Mini print unsupported items?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Can Up! Mini print unsupported items? [message #59721] Sun, 06 January 2013 17:36 UTC Go to next message
avatar Yonih  is currently offline Yonih
Go to all my models
Hey there

I'm looking into buying the Up! Mini for model and props making.. I was wondering though of the capabilities of the printer and would like to receive some feedback from those who know..

Let's say I want to print some masks.. A full enclosed mask and just a front mask. Since a mask is bigger than 12cm ill print it in parts and glue them..

But I'm wondering if the printer can actually print the mask as there is a gap where your face comes in and it cannot be supported by plastic because it needs to be empty..

I have seen a YouTube video by a prop maker that had his Iron Man suit parts printed by ShapeWays and they did the part with quite a bit of "free of plastic" places that weren't supported by anything so it looks like its possible but I don't know of any printer can do it.. Hope I'm explaining myself right here

Found the item ShapeWays printed for better clarification
http://www.shapeways.com/model/531376/iron-man-hip-pod-life- size-from-xrobots-co-uk.html?li=productBox-search

If you get what I'm asking and can answer my question, much appreciated

[Updated on: Sun, 06 January 2013 19:11 UTC]

Re: Can Up! Mini print unsupported items? [message #59769 is a reply to message #59721 ] Mon, 07 January 2013 15:36 UTC Go to previous message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
The Up (mini) usually generates removable supports Smile
But I such questions are better suited for the up/pp3dp forum, it is here:
http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/
And contains a lot of user experience with the Up.
Much more so than here, as only an handful here has a printer at home.

Cheers,

Stijn

[Updated on: Mon, 07 January 2013 15:36 UTC]

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -

Previous Topic:Thin wire definition
Next Topic:Are earring hooks included by shapeway team when you upload a earring model for selling purpose?