Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Developers » Shapeways API » Misc questions about the API
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Misc questions about the API [message #59613] Fri, 04 January 2013 14:43 UTC
avatar subvs  is currently offline subvs
Go to my shop
Hi,
I have a few miscellaneous questions regarding the Shapeways API, which I'm using to upload models from my mobile app.

- It appears when I upload my model from my app and visit the resulting model's page in Shapeways, the "description" property, "markup", etc. appear fine, but "tags" appears empty. The value I give in my request is the following comma-delimited list:
<tags>egg,easter,painting,magic 3d easter egg painter,subvs,subversus interactive,iphone,ipad</tags>

Is there anything more I need to do to get those tags to show up?

- In a related question, is there a way to specify the "categories", "shop section", or preview photo through the API? Will there be a way?

- Is there a recommended way to construct the URL given the model's ID? I've noticed sometimes the following format results in a "Redirect Loop":
http://www.shapeways.com/model/846755/

The following format seems more reliable:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/846755/.html

Is there a format we should adhere to that will be guaranteed to always work?

- Is it possible to ask submitModel to send its response after the model has been processed? Directing our users to a URL that says "Rendering Image..." in place of the preview image is confusing. Currently I just wait 30 seconds after receiving the model ID before directing them to the URL, but I was hoping there's a better way.

- What is the meaning of properties such as specular_color, shininess, opacity, translucency, etc on MaterialArray? I understand these concepts in the context of 3D computer graphics but with real-world objects and light sources, how can these properties affect appearance?

Thanks!

[Updated on: Sat, 05 January 2013 14:15 UTC]

Previous Topic:getModelPrice
Next Topic:Sandbox for testing against the API?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.