Up! Mini vs Stuffmaker 3D Creator

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 278511_deleted, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Hey,

Like the title says, I'm trying to get which one suits me better and what are the differences..

Mini Up
    http://www.3dprintersuperstore.com.au/collections/frontpage/ products/up-mini-3d-printer

3D Stuffmaker Creator
    http://www.3dprintersuperstore.com.au/collections/3d-printer s/products/3dstuffmaker-creator

Price: Mini goes for 985 while Stuffmaker is cheaper at 842
    Print size: 120x120x120 mm for both
    Print option: Mini Up doesn't seem to do hollow (none that I saw) while Stuffmaker can do normal honeycomb and hollow.

From those 3 parameters theres 2 wins for the Stuffmaker (price and hollow) with a draw on size.

So what is it about the Mini Up that makes it so "famous'' or just more well known?

Im planning on making props (masks and weapons) now both printers are too small but I'm planning on cutting the model to few pieces and then gluing them all together. Planning on as a hobby but to eventually sell some items as well if I could

Thanks for your help

2. Hi there, just to let you know, you can actually print hollow objects now with the up printers with the latest software update. Check it out here-
    http://www.pp3dp.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=a rticle&id=247:test-of-shell-printing-with-up-software-v1 18&catid=43:blog&Itemid=55
    The Up software also builds a support structure automatically. The UP mini has a heated build platform so you can build in ABS as well. These printers have the best build quality of any sub $1000 printer on the market.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg

001.jpg

File size:
      240.2 KB
      Views:
  3. Happy days :)

So what's the difference between the two? Other than the price... Which the Stuffmaker is on a supposedly big sale, down from more than 2k.

Thanks

4. They are very different printers coming from different backgrounds. The 3dstuffmaker printer is derived from the open source DIY reprap generation. Build with open source hardware and software. The software is windows only. The software does not create support structures, so basically, it a part has overhangs, it can not build it. You need to break your model into printable sections and join them together. It uses 3mm filament and does not have a heated platform. It is more suited to someone who wants to tinker with there machine and experiment with different print heads, upgrades and software. It is pre constructed out of the box, but requires much tweeting and adjusting before you can expect to get decent prints. It only prints in PLA out of the box as it does not have a heated bed. In terms of maintenance, you will need to be adjusting and tension as you go. It is a very noisy printer so you wouldn't want to be siting it at your desk printing all day however you must keep it plugged in to your computer for the entire duration of the print. The printer does not come with a power supply, you need to source one separately.

The UP! mini is manufactured from a company that has been making professional 3D printers for more that ten years. They have basically incorporated all their knowledge and experience into a consumer printer. The 3D printing includes proprietary software that comes with it is basically a cut down version of their professional software and thus produces very good quality prints. It also comes with a roll of their own manufactured 1.75mm filament that has superior build properties. The printer is constructed as in a rigid enclosed metal structure which insured a stable build platform and heat retention chamber to reduce the possibility of distortion to the parts. The Up mini can print in PLA and ABS material. It is not louder than a 2D printer and can easily sit on your desk when printing. Once a print file has been sent to the printer via USB cable, you can disconnect the computer. The software that comes with it is Mac and PC compatible. These are the easiest to set up and produce the best quality parts straight out of the box.

Both printers come with a one year warranty and both have excellent manufacturer support. The Up! printers can have an extended two year parts warranty.

5. Hey there

A lot of helpful information there, thank you very much. Well it sounds like ill be going with the Up! then.

I was wondering something.. Is it possible to make prints, glue them together (because my final item is much bigger than 12cm) and then make a cast of out it for future fast replication? Process that follows resin and rondo them

Once again thanks

6. Yes you can build in sections and join them together. You can use superglue, or even better use a solvent. Paint either Acetone or MEK onto each side with a brush. The surface dissolves slightly. Press the parts together and you get a perfect join without any glue. You can find MEK in hardware stores. It is used as a primer for plumber pipes.

7. Sounds good :)
    But it seems like ill have to wait a bit.. Ill starrt working on making 3D models on AutoCad or Sketchup and once I'm good enough Ill upgrade myself and buy a 3D printer.. Cheers for all the helpful information

8. Why don't you try Rhinoceros 5 from Robert McNeel. This is very powerful freeform modelling package. The is a fully functional version that you can use for 90 days. You can downloaded it from the 3D Printer Superstore here- http://www.3dprintersuperstore.com.au/pages/downloads

Happy Modelling :)

Attached Files: