Home » Support » 3D Printing » 3D printed metal and heat conductivity?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
3D printed metal and heat conductivity? [message #5771] Mon, 10 August 2009 19:04 UTC Go to next message
avatar randomblink  is currently offline randomblink
Go to my shop
If I make a flat plate and get it made with the Stainless Steel material option... could I burn on that material or would it melt it?

For example... if I create a small plate / bowl and burned:

• Candle
  • Incense
  • Matches
  • Paper

Would any of these items negatively affect the material throughout multiple and successive burnings?

Welcome to Costco, I love you.
Re: 3D printed metal and heat conductivity? [message #5773 is a reply to message #5771 ] Mon, 10 August 2009 21:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TerraCotta  is currently offline TerraCotta
Go to my shop
Hi, randomblink,

The stainless steel material is definitely strong and temperature-resistant enough to withstand the conditions you mention. Other than its porosity it has similar properties to most other stainless steel items you are familiar with. As you'll see, however, buying something plate-sized would be quite expensive indeed.

Sincerely,
Jeff Coleman
Terra Cotta Personal Fabricators
Re: 3D printed metal and heat conductivity? [message #5775 is a reply to message #5773 ] Mon, 10 August 2009 21:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the reply...

Re: 3D printed metal and heat conductivity? [message #5882 is a reply to message #5775 ] Fri, 14 August 2009 23:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi,

Melting temperature is 1528 F / 831 C.

Cheers!

Robert
Re: 3D printed metal and heat conductivity? [message #5890 is a reply to message #5882 ] Sun, 16 August 2009 03:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you very much... that's exactly what I needed to know...

Re: 3D printed metal and heat conductivity? [message #5950 is a reply to message #5771 ] Thu, 20 August 2009 02:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
Definitely won't melt,
BUT, the particular stainless alloy used in this composite (alloy # 420) is not super corrosion resistant. It will discolor from moderate exposures to heats of , + 600 F. This is not to say it would look bad, just that it would change. The composite will also rust if it is subjected to high moisture environments for extended periods. Again, this is not necessarily ugly. This behavior can be exploited to produce interesting patinas.

-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: 3D printed metal and heat conductivity? [message #6066 is a reply to message #5950 ] Wed, 26 August 2009 20:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar 1stage  is currently offline 1stage
Go to my shop
For those who know...

I'd like to try using the stainless steel for gobos within Robe's ColorSPot 575W lighitng instruments. Not sure of what the maximum temperature is in there, but it should be fine based on what was mentioned above.

Question is, what is the thinnest that Stainless Steel can print to, reasonably. I'd like .5 mm, but could live with up to 2mm.

- Sean Harrington, Tech Director, 1STAGE Repertory
Re: 3D printed metal and heat conductivity? [message #6067 is a reply to message #6066 ] Wed, 26 August 2009 20:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WiKKiDWidgets  is currently offline WiKKiDWidgets
Go to my shop
Hi Steve;

Minimum Walltickness: 3mm
Minimum Detail: 0.1mm

You can read all about all of the available Materail options here:

http://www.shapeways.com/about/material-options
Re: 3D printed metal and heat conductivity? [message #6068 is a reply to message #6067 ] Wed, 26 August 2009 21:15 UTC Go to previous message
avatar 1stage  is currently offline 1stage
Go to my shop
Very good! Thanks for the link. I was having problems finding it, and I knew I had seen it.

So, to have a disc that is 27mm in diameter (with a cut-out design in the center), the thinnest it can be is 3mm, correct?

When does the "minimum detail" of .1mm come into play, only when sitting on top of a part that's already 3mm?

Anyway to use sprues or other somewhat removable pieces to achieve the same effect and keep the core thickness of the disc to 0.5mm - 1.0mm?

Also, I did upload a model that was 3mm thick, but Stainless Steel was not an option. Does it have to be 3.1mm to pass "the test"?

- Sean

Previous Topic:Can I plate the 3d printed metal in Gold/Silver?
Next Topic:What about the strength of printed metal?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.