Flat disgusted with Shapeways

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 251405_deleted, Jan 1, 2013.

1. coug003.png I have been working on a small pendant to give to a friend, and it is much less fragile or detailed than many of the small figurines I have seen from other members, but the %^$#!& Shapeways materials picker will NOT allow me to print it in stainless, gold, or silver.

What's up with that?

I don't have any idea how to tell people to go look at it, or I would, because I'd sure like to know how to get this thing printed in metal.

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Try increasing the height of that flat part so that it exceeds the 3mm threshold given on the material page...

3. Worked. Thanks!

Why couldn't I get that from the "edit model" page?

I had no idea what to look at, and redesigned this thing about four times to get it to where it would take.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    For materials that SW automatically turns off, you should be able to mouse over the item on the edit page to see why it's not available.

5. I must be doing something wrong, because I never saw any such place to do that.

I've redone it, per the suggestion to increase the overall thickness, and it worked. Order on the way. (If UPS doesn't leave it at the wrong address, or change the delivery date a dozen times)

6. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    You really should start at the material's page when designing for a material and pay attention to the design guidelines. It may not seem alot but there are minimum sizes there for a reason. You're lucky that you get this advanced notice... a couple of years ago a lot of my stainless prints failed because they were to small... oh... my bad :confused :rolleyes: :p

Paul.

7. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    :D First thing I read -> Silver datasheet -> what I do when modeling , measure and measure and measure 1mm thickness :rolleyes: