Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » White/Flexible questions from a New Guy
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
White/Flexible questions from a New Guy [message #5767] Mon, 10 August 2009 18:06 UTC Go to next message
avatar tn_prvteye  is currently offline tn_prvteye
Go to my shop
I'm working on a scratch-built model aircraft, and I was wondering about the properties of the "White/Flexible" material. I assume you can sand it and paint it, but can you scribe it? I need to scribe some panel lines and wasn't sure if it's possible. Also, can I use enamels or do I need to use acrylics?

Thanks!
Re: White/Flexible questions from a New Guy [message #8297 is a reply to message #5767 ] Sun, 13 December 2009 05:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
Model aircraft are a great application of this technology, but if you are scribing panel lines you may be missing the point of 3d printing. Ideally those details would be in the 3d model.

To answer you question, yes you can work with it, but the material does not cut very easily. It's nylon and will deform under pressure.

Regarding finishing, the material is very porous. You can put whatever you want on it, but if you try all at once it will absorb it like a sponge. First, seal it with a few light coats of spray, taking care to dry it completely between coats.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: White/Flexible questions from a New Guy [message #8534 is a reply to message #5767 ] Thu, 24 December 2009 08:20 UTC Go to previous message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Indeed, you can better incorporate all (surface) details in the model itself.
Post production refinement is tricky (although not impossible) with swf.

Enamel pant works great with SWF, I used it on several models :Eardrops
Trimatrix
And they turned out great !
Although, my painting skills aren't that great, so to get an even finish I dipped the models in the paint and then removed the excess.

My personal attempts at using a brush mostly failed, because the process is quite unforgiving as to paint direction differences.
Mostly due to the very rapid absorption, I think.
That is why I resorted to dipping Wink

One thing I noticed is that the enamel (solvents?) seems to (temporarily) make the SWF a little more flexible/bendy/flimsy.
But after drying, it seems at least as strong as the unpainted, perhaps stronger.

Also, there are several model plane/helicopter designers around this site, I saw some topics on increasing SWF strength by dipping in cyanoacrylate. But that stuf scares me Wink

Also check out this painting 3D printed SLS models tutorial

Regards

[Updated on: Thu, 24 December 2009 08:28 UTC]

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -

Previous Topic:Example of primed WSF or white detail?
Next Topic:Wsf Figure painted

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.