Home » Community » Introductions » Hey y'all total noob here!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hey y'all total noob here! [message #59407] Mon, 31 December 2012 15:29 UTC Go to next message
avatar samuraidaikon  is currently offline samuraidaikon
Go to all my models
First of all I've been looking at the work here and it's amazing. Fantastic service you guys are providing! I'm just hoping I can someday make something half as good as most of the models here!

I'm totally new to Shapeways but I have some amateur knowledge of 3D software like Maya and CAD, though I haven't had access to those in a few years now. I just did a quick photoshop drawing and made a charm for my sis through one of the "easy creators". Used the letters of her name to form a vague semblance of a monkey. Nothing to brag about but hopefully that comes across...

I'm a student living in LA now and I have several interests that shapeways can hopefully help me with. I'm playing around to see if this is a viable way to design and build miniature props and set pieces for my current job (with shipping the process seems too slow though unfortunately). I'm also an avid figure collector and I'd like to make my own custom accessories. And if I can ever attain the time and money (like that'll ever happen) to dabble in an old robotics hobby of mine I'd like to build custom frames/joints/components like a couple of my friends are doing with their personal 3D printers.

Anyway, I guess I'll start with figure accessories just so I can personally test the quality of things I design. Any advice? I have many Transformers with 5mm peg holes for hands. If I wanted to make holdable objects, are certain software more accurate than others? I DL'd Sketchup, is it pretty precise? Also for the handles is it recommended to bevel the edges? Also I may want to make new head sculpts and some TFs have relatively "organic" faces with lots of round smooth surfaces while having harsh edged "helmets" and ball jointed necks that require precision measurment to fit together. Is there any software that's good at combining organic and geometric shapes?
Re: Hey y'all total noob here! [message #59480 is a reply to message #59407 ] Wed, 02 January 2013 14:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Welcome!

I'd check out this list of software, and this tutorial for Sketchup.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Hey y'all total noob here! [message #59483 is a reply to message #59480 ] Wed, 02 January 2013 15:03 UTC Go to previous message
avatar happyxray  is currently offline happyxray
Go to my shop
I also do not have a 3D printer,But I know a little bit,Do one side model,I have a model not approved because one side

Previous Topic:Hello. Looking for advise.
Next Topic:HI_Every one,HappyNewYear~

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.