Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Community » General Discussion » Kickstarter Advice
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Kickstarter Advice [message #59347] Sat, 29 December 2012 15:53 UTC Go to next message
avatar Ray716  is currently offline Ray716
Go to my shop
So I've been wanting to do a Kickstarter for some time but until recently I didn't know what project to do. I've finally decided to go with one of my passions. Taking the Elder Futhark Runes and writing peoples names with them.

index.php?t=getfile&id=24898&private=0((pics))

So Now here is the main reason for this post. Who else has used Shapeways in their kickstarter? What advice can you give me before I send this live?

Ray

• Attachment: tattoo.png
    (Size: 32.85KB, Downloaded 67 time(s))

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com
Re: Kickstarter Advice [message #59667 is a reply to message #59347 ] Sat, 05 January 2013 15:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Joshua Harker got his start via Kickstarter.

His shop is here: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/shhark
His original Kickstarter is here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joshharker/crania-anatom ica-filigre-me-to-you?ref=users

You might send him a pm and see what he has to say.

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Kickstarter Advice [message #59840 is a reply to message #59667 ] Tue, 08 January 2013 17:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks UniverseBecoming I will send him a message. I loved his work and his success on Kickstarter is part of what made me think about doing the project i'm working on. Very Happy

Ray

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com
Re: Kickstarter Advice [message #59868 is a reply to message #59347 ] Tue, 08 January 2013 22:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
I made a Kickstarter project a while ago, and had Shapeways-made items as the rewards.

Kickstarter has some great tutorials about how to launch a good project here: http://www.kickstarter.com/help/school#defining_your_project

Why do you want to use Kickstarter? Can you tell us more about the project? What would you need funding for?

I am thinking if you are creating these runes of people's names, you could execute this project as a Co-Creator

Tips on that are here: http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1765-Shop-Owner-Holid ay-Tips-Series-4-Personalization-Shapeways-Co-Creators.html

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: Kickstarter Advice [message #59883 is a reply to message #59868 ] Wed, 09 January 2013 05:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the advice Natalia.

When the project is finished I do plan on keeping it open as a Co-creater in my shop. Here is the run down of what I am planning on doing. It's very simple really. supporters of my Kickstarter can choose either a pre-designed pendant of a bindrune or an Icelandic Magic symbol or they can chose to have their name designed in runes. I want to do a kickstarter because I have so many friends and fellow artists who are using that to start their lines or projects. I'm also hoping to be able to purchase some much needed jewelry tools do I can do more jewelry work at home. The more I can make and design the more I can make and design. Very Happy And Right now I have a TON of designs I've finished but I've not been able to get them printed yet.. So this Kickstarter will help me get a leg up, expand my portfolio, and give me the confidence to say that I've held a successful kickstarter!

As of right now I'm still in the planning phase, and I'm working on getting one or two more people on board to get some test prints made for Photos and the Video. But I like to research things to the best of my ability before I jump in to something. When I do launch my kickstarter Is it okay to post about it here since I am planning on using Shapeways to print all of the pendants? I love how supportive the shapeways community is, but I dont want to step on anyone's toes either. Very Happy

Ohhh and here is one of the examples of the pendants. it's "Ratatoskr" the Squirrel who runs up and down the world tree delivering insults. Very Happy

index.php?t=getfile&id=25327&private=0

Ray

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com
Re: Kickstarter Advice [message #59905 is a reply to message #59883 ] Wed, 09 January 2013 14:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar macouno  is currently offline macouno
Go to my shop
Well...

Don't do a kickstarter funding drive just to do something with kickstarter.

Do it because you have a really cool project that you can not do without the help of the funding you may receive.

Also think about your audience. Most funding comes from the people you already know, so think hard about whether kickstarter in itself adds real value to your project. I've done some funding quite successfully by asking the people who are already in my network to help me fund something.

If you do it... make sure the goal is very well defined. For instance... if you do these pendants... make it fund a first series, that you print yourself, which you will present at a specific event or in a shop for instance... that gives a nice deadline and a very real/visible result for people who help you. Don't make it only a way for people to buy your product...

Hope that helps
Dolf
Re: Kickstarter Advice [message #59906 is a reply to message #59905 ] Wed, 09 January 2013 14:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Great Advice, thanks Dolf! Very Happy

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com
Re: Kickstarter Advice [message #59914 is a reply to message #59347 ] Wed, 09 January 2013 16:28 UTC Go to previous message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Dolf put it very well indeed!

Kickstarters work best when they are for a specific "project" - like an exhibition, or an event.

Since you can make money selling your work on Shapeways, you can "fund" your jewelry line by just making it!

The greatest thing about selling on Shapeways is it allows you to test an idea without really spending too much money. Previously, you would have invested money to make a bunch of pendants, paid for a stall at a craft fair, and waited to see if people liked your designs enough to buy them.

With Shapeways, you can open a shop and test your products by using the power of the internet - you can advertise on Facebook (to your network of friends) and on Shapeways and if people like your work, they will buy it right on Shapeways, so you make money as you sell. If people don't like your designs, then they won't buy them, but you are not stuck with a bunch of pre-made stock.

The old adage of "you need to spend money to make money" is still true, as your shop will look better with photos of products rather than just renders, but now you can spend a bit less Wink

Good luck!

[Updated on: Wed, 09 January 2013 16:28 UTC]

Shapeways Community Manager

Previous Topic:I can not upload photos
Next Topic:WSF: Can it Take the Heat?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.