Home » Support » 3D Applications » STL vs OBJ
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
STL vs OBJ [message #59099] Sun, 23 December 2012 03:04 UTC Go to next message
avatar Esoteric777  is currently offline Esoteric777
Go to my shop
Is there any advantage over either one? im just curious trying to get a better hang of what im doing.
Re: STL vs OBJ [message #59101 is a reply to message #59099 ] Sun, 23 December 2012 03:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
The only particular advantage is that STL format can be used directly in Netfabb Basic, which is very handy for checking and repairing models as well as adjusting the overall size and orientation.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: STL vs OBJ [message #59109 is a reply to message #59101 ] Sun, 23 December 2012 07:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Esoteric777  is currently offline Esoteric777
Go to my shop
thanks, i have heard some files are better at printing smoother
Re: STL vs OBJ [message #59116 is a reply to message #59101 ] Sun, 23 December 2012 10:24 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
stonysmith wrote on Sun, 23 December 2012 03:40

The only particular advantage is that STL format can be used directly in Netfabb Basic, which is very handy for checking and repairing models as well as adjusting the overall size and orientation.

NetFabb Studio Basic can open and export .OBJ files, or better still open .OBJ and export as STL binary (see below)

The main advantage I find for STL files is that when saved as a STL binary the Shapeways maximum triangle limit of 1 million is reached with a filesize of around 50MB which is under the Shapeways upload limit of 64MB Smile

Paul

Previous Topic:Shape Ways & Sizing
Next Topic:Recommended modeling software on the mac

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.