Home » Support » 3D Design » Using Lightwave, how do I keep my subpatch after uploading to Shape way
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Using Lightwave, how do I keep my subpatch after uploading to Shape way [message #59090] Sat, 22 December 2012 20:27 UTC Go to next message
avatar N0Sf3RATU  is currently offline N0Sf3RATU
Go to all my models
I uploaded an object modeled in LW. Its smoothed and subpatched. When it was uploaded on Shapeway, it lost its subpatch and smoothing. How do I keep this after uploading? Thanks in advance!! (if you'd like to see it, its the only one on my profile)

Very Respectfully,

N.
Re: Using Lightwave, how do I keep my subpatch after uploading to Shape way [message #59091 is a reply to message #59090 ] Sat, 22 December 2012 20:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Most programs have two types of shading at least, flat and smooth shading. Smooth(or Gourard shading) gives the illusion of smooth. But does not modify the actual meshes resolution. Flat shading is how your model will be actuallylook, faceted. Only way to make it appear smother when printed is to bump up the meshes resolution, which will increase file size unfortunately.
That is why SW ignored the smooth shading you applied, prolly the patch too.

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Using Lightwave, how do I keep my subpatch after uploading to Shape way [message #59159 is a reply to message #59091 ] Mon, 24 December 2012 12:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar N0Sf3RATU  is currently offline N0Sf3RATU
Go to all my models
Thank you for the response. Ill subdivide this model a few times and see what happens =-)

Merry Christmas, and thanks again!
Re: Using Lightwave, how do I keep my subpatch after uploading to Shape way [message #59193 is a reply to message #59090 ] Tue, 25 December 2012 18:33 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Increasing the mesh resolution does not mean regular subdivision will actually help in some cases to make a mesh smoother. Regular subdivision just divides each face into 4 other coplanar faces. Sometimes just tinkering with a primitives geometry can cause a smoother mesh.

I made these rings to demonstrate. Ring A was created using a circle with 24 vertices. Model B used 64. Notice B looks less chunky. The faces are closer together.

I used a technique called Catmull/Clark subdivision(plus a tweak with creases) for model C. It is really much smoother, but a much higher mesh resolution. The C/C subdivision has a rounding effect, unlike regular subdivision which in most cases is what you need.

index.php?t=getfile&id=24757&private=0

• Attachment: ringres.png
    (Size: 16.74KB, Downloaded 66 time(s))

[Updated on: Tue, 25 December 2012 18:36 UTC]

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith

Previous Topic:Hollow-bowl design closed in upon uploading
Next Topic:Ring won't print - need some feedback / advice

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.