pro engineer user

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by 246_deleted, Apr 15, 2008.

1. 246_deleted
    246_deleted Member
    I'm a designer using Pro Engineer (Wildfire 2). Pro E is arguably the industry standard for engineering design and is used by many in-house and consultant product design groups.

ProE doesn't export to Collada or X3D, which I'm guessing (but not sure) are formats targeted mainly at 3D animation and games design, no?

So I downloaded Accutrans to my PC (though I'm a Mac user, I have a desktop PC for my 3D work) and tried to install it. I got the standard version which should run on my XP Home Edition syatem. Click setup.exe -- nothing. Downloaded again, tried again -- nothing.

So after 30mins I've given up as life's too short and I'm busy, which is a shame.

Why can't Shapeways accept files that Pro-E can export? Like IGES or STL -- the absolute industry standard exchange formats in the 3D product design business? Seems odd to me.

I have a great model here that I want to upload but I just don't have the time and energy, sorry.

Best wishes...

2. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hi biomimetics,

yes, we're aware of that and we're already looking at supporting STL files.

For now, what I can offer you is that we convert those files to X3D or Collada for you - just send them to service@shapeways.com and we'll do our best. I don't think AccuTrans will convert Pro Engineer files though, so maybe you can supply your model as STL or some other standard file format?

Thanks, and sorry for the frustration!

Bart

3. 246_deleted
    246_deleted Member
    Thanks Bart. I will send you an STL file very soon.