Home » Support » Bug Reporting » full color sandstone, X3D, no color in preview
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
full color sandstone, X3D, no color in preview [message #58970] Thu, 20 December 2012 17:29 UTC Go to next message
avatar jboulder  is currently offline jboulder
Go to my shop
I having no luck getting colors to properly work with my 3D model.

* I'm using solid colors (not UV patterns) and a .x3d generated by MeshLab.

* I can reimport import the triangle2.x3d file using MeshLab and it has the right colors.

* I can see that colors are included in the XML data structure.

* When uploaded to shapeways the preview is monochrome.

Does anybody know what's going wrong? Does anybody have an example .x3d file that includes static colors? Thanks for the help!

• Attachment: triangle2.zip
    (Size: 24.80KB, Downloaded 25 time(s))

Re: full color sandstone, X3D, no color in preview [message #58971 is a reply to message #58970 ] Thu, 20 December 2012 17:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Does it work if you upload just the x3d file (either as-is or zipped, but without the unreferenced and
unneeded.png file?)
Re: full color sandstone, X3D, no color in preview [message #58972 is a reply to message #58971 ] Thu, 20 December 2012 18:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Got it now - the x3d importer at shapeways does not seem to understand RGBA colors, only RGB.
(I used view3dscene to export your file in "classic encoding" - x3dv with mostly vrml2 syntax, which
makes it more human-readable and then changed "ColorRGBA" to just "Color" and deleted the trailing "1"
in each entry. No doubt there is an easier way, but I am still more familar with archaic text editors than
with MeshLab)

Re: full color sandstone, X3D, no color in preview [message #59241 is a reply to message #58972 ] Wed, 26 December 2012 19:03 UTC Go to previous message
avatar jboulder  is currently offline jboulder
Go to my shop
Thank you for the help. With your edits the file uploads correctly. Since other uses may have difficulty with encoding color for sandstone printing I'd like to suggest that you include some example files for colored and UV mapped surfaces. Then when there's a problem the more technically inclined can at least have a prototype for a "properly formatted" file. The page to which attachments would have helped me is the following.

http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/exporting_to_vrml_and_x3d _for_color_printing

Cheers!

Previous Topic:bad link when receiving email notification
Next Topic:Increase number of attachments on post in the feature this category

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.