Printing tubes?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 228346_deleted, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Recently I designed some flowers posted here

The stems i designed are simple tubes with internal diameter of 2.1mm , wall thickness is 1.1mm. The tube has printed correctly. It appears to have a hole running all the way through (I can drill to the length of the bit , and the material removed was in powder form).

After a few different attempt im still unsuccessful in removing the powder deeper within the tube.

My question is :
    What is the minimum internal diameter for not only printing a tube but being able to clear it with ease?

Since SLS parts have a somewhat hydrophobic effect would bathing in something like Isopropanol help loosen the powder more?

Kind regards

Oh i got a new camera, and took this photo ..... shame to waste it ;)

rose.jpg

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I like the Shapeways underneath :cool: I'd try maybe some compressed air?

3. Hey Micheal
    I tried compressed air with no luck.......that said if i had a finer nozzle on the air gun (something similar to a can of compressed air or a WD40), lowered the PSI and tried that way it may work. Will give it a go.

Since i havent figured out the stems I used the Shapeways box to hold the fiber optics in place and block any unwanted light.....worked surprisingly well :rolleyes:

Thanks

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Yea, that's what I would get. A can of compressed air. Maybe try a pipe cleaner? The tiny ones you can find at a craft store or something.

5. Havent tried them but I assume that if a .5mm wire cant shift the blockage.

I forgot to take them into work today so will test the Isopropanol to see if it can loosen the powder and then try the pipe cleaner idea.

Thanks Micheal

6. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Some people reported freezing allowed them moving apparently stuck parts. Maybe it works for holes too.

7. mfoster3
    mfoster3 Member
    I have a similar issue with parts that I've designed that have a couple of inches of .020" spaced surfaces that are intended to slide relative to one another. When I received the printed parts they were as if welded together. I soon realized that it was tightly compacted powder between the parts that was preventing them from moving. Compressed air didn't seem to have an affect. I was able to dislodge the powder using thin spring steel wire that I had on hand that is available from McMaster-Carr. I would like to find a better method such as the a fore mentioned freezing to help loosen up the powder as the finished parts will be in a more complex assembly that will be more difficult access. Any addition details about the freezing method would be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014