Home » Support » 3D Applications » Abt Google SketchUp 3D, how to import vectors?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Abt Google SketchUp 3D, how to import vectors? [message #58792] Tue, 18 December 2012 07:58 UTC Go to next message
avatar cnomis  is currently offline cnomis
Go to my shop
maybe this is a stupid question....all i wanna do is to trace a logo & print it on the model. i dun think should do it in a 3D software, but i dunno how to import the vector into SketchUp. i ve simply try copy & paste, but it dosen't work.

anyone could tell me how? thx a lot.
Re: Abt Google SketchUp 3D, how to import vectors? [message #58827 is a reply to message #58792 ] Tue, 18 December 2012 18:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
What format are the vectors in?

You can import DXF with this free plugin: Import DXF

Trouble using SketchUp? Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp" - http://bit.ly/1jQ4RtV
Re: Abt Google SketchUp 3D, how to import vectors? [message #58856 is a reply to message #58827 ] Wed, 19 December 2012 03:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
the vector is CS5 AI.
i install the plugin & export my logo to .dxf. but it didn't work. after choose the file & the pop-up window, it shows nothing.

is there any setting need?
Re: Abt Google SketchUp 3D, how to import vectors? [message #58861 is a reply to message #58856 ] Wed, 19 December 2012 05:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Sorry, I don't know the settings - I have Sketchup Pro which imports DXF directly.

If that one doesn't work, you can try this one: DXF IN.

Trouble using SketchUp? Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp" - http://bit.ly/1jQ4RtV
Re: Abt Google SketchUp 3D, how to import vectors? [message #60803 is a reply to message #58861 ] Fri, 25 January 2013 21:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar CactusBones  is currently offline CactusBones
Go to my shop
I found that if you can find a free sketchup 6 version, importing dxf from illustrator is a breeze (it was built into free sketchup versions back then)....modify it save it as a sketchup file and then you can pull it into sketchup 8.
I was unable to get the import dxf plugin to work for me in free sketchup 8 also so I wasted a bunch of time trying to research why the plugin didnt work..gave up.... and eventually found that round about method with sketchup 6 that works.

[Updated on: Fri, 25 January 2013 21:36 UTC]

Re: Abt Google SketchUp 3D, how to import vectors? [message #60863 is a reply to message #58792 ] Sat, 26 January 2013 22:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
If you can find a svg import plugin Gimp can convert a selection to a path, and export as svg.

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Abt Google SketchUp 3D, how to import vectors? [message #60865 is a reply to message #58792 ] Sat, 26 January 2013 22:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Since Bones knows about dxf/svg imports, half the battle is won. I really need to post the remesh trick here for fonts/curves it makes things much better topology for deformations by curve modifiers.

[Updated on: Sat, 26 January 2013 22:21 UTC]

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Abt Google SketchUp 3D, how to import vectors? [message #60881 is a reply to message #60865 ] Sun, 27 January 2013 04:33 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
yes, i appreciate that if do so. wait for ur demostration~~

Previous Topic:Wrapping patterns
Next Topic:3DS Max/Netfabb scale units issue

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.