Abt Google SketchUp 3D, how to import vectors?

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by cnomis, Dec 18, 2012.

1. cnomis
    cnomis Member
    maybe this is a stupid question....all i wanna do is to trace a logo & print it on the model. i dun think should do it in a 3D software, but i dunno how to import the vector into SketchUp. i ve simply try copy & paste, but it dosen't work.

anyone could tell me how? thx a lot.

2. What format are the vectors in?

You can import DXF with this free plugin: Import DXF

3. cnomis
    cnomis Member
    the vector is CS5 AI.
    i install the plugin & export my logo to .dxf. but it didn't work. after choose the file & the pop-up window, it shows nothing.

is there any setting need?

4. Sorry, I don't know the settings - I have Sketchup Pro which imports DXF directly.

If that one doesn't work, you can try this one: DXF IN.

5. CactusBones
    CactusBones Member
    I found that if you can find a free sketchup 6 version, importing dxf from illustrator is a breeze (it was built into free sketchup versions back then)....modify it save it as a sketchup file and then you can pull it into sketchup 8.
    I was unable to get the import dxf plugin to work for me in free sketchup 8 also so I wasted a bunch of time trying to research why the plugin didnt work..gave up.... and eventually found that round about method with sketchup 6 that works.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  6. If you can find a svg import plugin Gimp can convert a selection to a path, and export as svg.

7. Since Bones knows about dxf/svg imports, half the battle is won. I really need to post the remesh trick here for fonts/curves it makes things much better topology for deformations by curve modifiers.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  8. cnomis
    cnomis Member
    yes, i appreciate that if do so. wait for ur demostration~~