Changing a model while keeping the paint job

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by wondercat, Dec 16, 2012.

1. wondercat
    wondercat Member
    I use sculptris to do all of my 3d modeling work. One thing that's been irritating is after painting a model I end up noticing a tiny error in the sculpt...which means I have to scrap the paint job if I want to fix the error.

Is there another way to do this or do all programs prevent you from editing the model while a skin is applied?

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Have you tried exporting the texture map and trying to see if the new texture map is similar to the old? Then you could just make small modifications to the map. Luckily I'm no good at painting in sculptris yet so I haven't had this problem.

3. wondercat
    wondercat Member
    Thanks so much for responding! I tried, but it didn't wok.

4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Out of the wok into the fire or summat like that ;)

As far as I know, from Sculptris, once a model has 'baked' colours, there's no going back. However it may be possible to get the model into MeshLab for adjustment and then resave the file - not something I've tried though (and not particulalry something I want to try because MeshLab doesn't like what I try to get it to do).

I'm half expecting a Blenderhead to pop in and say bish-bash-bosh, here you go, job done.

Paul
    [hr][hr]

5. wondercat
    wondercat Member
    Thanks for the advice! :) I'll try Meshlabs and Blender.
    Time to finally learn how to use Blender I guess. I've been putting it off for as long as possible.

6. Wondercat, it never hurts to branch out learning new modelling programs. All have certain things they a really good at.