Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Model preview different than uploaded .OBJ file
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Model preview different than uploaded .OBJ file [message #58649] Sat, 15 December 2012 01:28 UTC Go to next message
avatar kbaum1  is currently offline kbaum1
Go to all my models
Hey there,

Long time 3d fabber but first time on the site. Just lost access to my universities 3d printer Sad So I uploaded an exported sketchup file earlier today and ordered one, but now that im checking the model on the website there are a bunch of surfaces interconnecting some latticing in very nasty ways that I did not model. Is this just the website or should I cancel my order?
Re: Model preview different than uploaded .OBJ file [message #58651 is a reply to message #58649 ] Sat, 15 December 2012 02:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
General rule: If the render looks bad, so will the print. (and very likely will fail the human wall thickness checks)

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Model preview different than uploaded .OBJ file [message #58657 is a reply to message #58649 ] Sat, 15 December 2012 09:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Can you share a link/pictures?
If the model contained small errors (I hear this often happens with Sketchup) it might be the upload process fixed your file and in the process may have created this extra geometry.

How does the .OBJ file look in Meshlab?
(free download)

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Model preview different than uploaded .OBJ file [message #58664 is a reply to message #58657 ] Sat, 15 December 2012 15:36 UTC Go to previous message
avatar kbaum1  is currently offline kbaum1
Go to all my models
Hey guys,

Here is the link

( http://www.shapeways.com/model/830090/kb.html?li=my-models&a mp;key=6552b2a2bda97ca04e3de58021a60574)

I opened it up in rhino and everything looks fine, but I'll download that tool you mentioned earlier and give it a look over.

Previous Topic:Pricing after model upload going all over the place...
Next Topic:Shapeways web site looks lousy ... fixed!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.