Home » Support » 3D Design » Why is the dimensions that are showing up different from those in my original STL file?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Why is the dimensions that are showing up different from those in my original STL file? [message #58641] Fri, 14 December 2012 21:42 UTC Go to next message
avatar CassJohnson  is currently offline CassJohnson
Go to all my models
I have re-uploaded my STL file a couple of times, and each time, your system changes it dimensions. For instance the original height of my design is 8 inches but when it shows up in "my models" it shows up as 20 plus inches. What's up?

Thanks for any input
Cass Johnson

Re: Why is the dimensions that are showing up different from those in my original STL file? [message #58648 is a reply to message #58641 ] Sat, 15 December 2012 00:27 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
The dimensions at SW were inches 2.74 x 2.93 x 20.32.( I am a psychic). Scale it .3937(1/2.54) and upload as inch. Somehow the model was scaled by 2.54 which is a conversion of inches to cm.

You can use both Meshlab and Netfabb to determine basic dimensions which then scale if needed to coincide with the upload values you can choose for the size of the print . With trial and error you can usually determine the workflow needed for properly scaled,upload values to SW.

Keith

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith

Previous Topic:Help with pricing...why did such a small change raise my price so much?
Next Topic:Help needed! removing the "red wires" from my mesh in netfabb

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.