Home » Community » General Discussion » Creating a Print - Someone's already done it!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Creating a Print - Someone's already done it! [message #58597] Fri, 14 December 2012 04:47 UTC Go to next message
avatar PeregrineStudios  is currently offline PeregrineStudios
Go to my shop
Hey everyone,

I've got a bit of sticky wicket here.

I'm working on a 3D Print of a ring, and just make a disappointing and frustrating discovery. While browsing fan art and just general Google images, searching for inspiration, I came across an image linking to Shapeways. To my dismay, I discovered that someone else has already done this sort of thing!

I won't say what it is - I don't want to bring unwanted attention to either this print or my own until I've sorted this out - but while this other person's print is different from my own, they're definitely extremely similar in concept.

So -- what do I do? I love this idea I had and want to see it through. At the same time, is it poor form to make and sell a print when someone else is already selling something similar? Obviously in a free market you can do what you want, but it's been said in the past that Shapeways is a community, and I agree. I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

PeregrineStudios
Re: Creating a Print - Someone's already done it! [message #58600 is a reply to message #58597 ] Fri, 14 December 2012 06:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
1) You could contact the other designer and ask politely if they would object to yours, pointing out the differences between the two designs.
2) Don't feel bad about it.. there are millions of other things that haven't been designed yet.
3) There's a bit of "no foul" here if you're only printing the item for your own personal use. offering the item for sale would make it problematic.
4) Remember that in the world of fan-art, you may run afoul of the original copyright holder, so be careful there.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 December 2012 06:17 UTC]

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Creating a Print - Someone's already done it! [message #58616 is a reply to message #58600 ] Fri, 14 December 2012 16:06 UTC Go to previous message
avatar PeregrineStudios  is currently offline PeregrineStudios
Go to my shop
I agree, in fact I've already contacted the designer - and I'm taking steps to make sure mine is different. Most notably, his has a Co-Creator option and mine will not, which will hopefully be difference enough (aside from the obvious personal differences in design and style).

Previous Topic:Lotion bottle?
Next Topic:lightning faaaaaaaaaaast ...

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.