Exporting could be easier

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by 244_deleted, Apr 14, 2008.

1. 244_deleted
    244_deleted Member
    I work with Max and I find it hard to export my work to x3d or collada. I once succeeded by following your AccuTrans tutorial, but to be honest I don't want to have to purchase a tool just to use your service?

Why not use .STL, which is the standard file format for rapid manufacturing?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  2. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hi ThreeDee,

thanks for your feedback! We're actually already looking into alternative file formats to support and STL is definitely on our list. We'll keep you posted.

In the mean time, aren't there X3D or Collada exporters available for MAX so you can skip the entire AccuTrans step?

If you get stuck converting objects you can also send your files to service@shapeways.com and we'll convert them for you. I wonder for how long we'll be able to keep that up ;)

Cheers,

Bart

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  3. mrpoon
    mrpoon Member
    There might be another method.

There is a free version of Feeling Software's ColladaMAX plugin available here:

https://update.multiverse.net/wiki/index.php/Installing_the_3 ds_Max_COLLADA_Plugin

As far as I know, it will only work with the 32-bit version of 3DS MAX.

The 3DS MAX system units can remain in mm, but the file units should be changed to 'metres' for the Shapeways system to accurately price your design.

You can check this by looking at the 'object properties' - your mesh should be in metre units and smaller than 1 metre.

Please let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Wah

4. bartv
    bartv Member
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2008