Home » Community » General Discussion » Remembering Ovidiu Opresco
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Remembering Ovidiu Opresco [message #58423] Tue, 11 December 2012 20:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
It's never good when we lose a community member, especially when it's one like our dear friend Ovidiu Opresco. If any of you were wondering, like me, what has happened to the witty old designer, we were recently informed that he passed away last month. He was an inspiration to many with his designs, presentation, and determination. Wouldn't it be great if we all were blessed with such drive and passion for creation!

To many of us in the Shapeways community, he was a bit of a marvel. He had a passion about him, and a willingness to learn, contribute, and innovate. Something that, at his age, was truly inspirational.

Fortunately the story of Opresco doesn't end there. His son, Mihnea, will be taking over his fathers shop. To not only continue selling Ovidiu's work, but to complete some of his unfinished work, and hopefully continue on. We, at Shapeways, have offered to help in any way that we can. And I know that our community will at least be equally helpful in his endeavour to maintain the memory of his father on Shapeways.

Mihnea left us with these words about his father:

Some of you may know that Ovidiu was a stuntman when he was young. The stuntmen say: "If you fall from a horse, it doesn't matter - jump on to the next larger one." Ovidiu (a.k.a. Tororo) took this way of thinking about problems and used it to make 3D designs and other work in his life.

[Updated on: Tue, 11 December 2012 20:46 UTC]

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Remembering Ovidiu Opresco [message #58424 is a reply to message #58423 ] Tue, 11 December 2012 20:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
As Mike expressed, Ovidiu was an amazing member of our community and an inspirational designer.

I remember when we completed the InShape 2.0 project at Shapeways I announced it to the community that we had "kicked a goal" and he designed a Dutch clog/soccer shoe for me as a congratulations.

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/uploads/shoe1.jpg

Though I never met him in person, I did an interview with Ovidiu last July which was posted on our blog:
http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1478-Designer-Spotlig ht-Ovidiu-Opresco.html

You may have noticed that our homepage today is displaying all of his works, as a quiet homage. I hope you find his work as inspiring as I do.

[Updated on: Tue, 11 December 2012 20:51 UTC]

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: Remembering Ovidiu Opresco [message #58431 is a reply to message #58424 ] Tue, 11 December 2012 22:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
R.I.P. Ovidiu...

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"
Re: Remembering Ovidiu Opresco [message #58451 is a reply to message #58424 ] Wed, 12 December 2012 08:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
R.I.P. Ovidiu

Re: Remembering Ovidiu Opresco [message #58457 is a reply to message #58451 ] Wed, 12 December 2012 10:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Farewell Ovidiu... Your designs always made me smile. My favorite was the Beer Ring - I've shown that video often during presentations and always got a great response from the audience.

Cheers!

index.php?t=getfile&id=24222&private=0

• Attachment: Ovidiu.png
    (Size: 255.68KB, Downloaded 261 time(s))

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Remembering Ovidiu Opresco [message #58471 is a reply to message #58457 ] Wed, 12 December 2012 15:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
His creativity and enthusiasm will be missed.

I so loved his videos, this one being my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-DGIR06MJ0

Duann Scott, Designer Evangelist, Shapeways
Re: Remembering Ovidiu Opresco [message #58512 is a reply to message #58471 ] Wed, 12 December 2012 22:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bdickason  is currently offline bdickason
Go to my shop
I work here
This is really, really sad Sad I followed Olvidu on twitter and really enjoyed seeing him upload designs. What a great guy, with an amazingly positive attitude.

Director of Product - Shapeways
Re: Remembering Ovidiu Opresco [message #58555 is a reply to message #58423 ] Thu, 13 December 2012 14:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mezmera  is currently offline Mezmera
Go to my shop
That's very sad news... He will be missed, such an inspiring creator.
Re: Remembering Ovidiu Opresco [message #58891 is a reply to message #58423 ] Wed, 19 December 2012 14:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Words still escape me Crying or Very Sad

Oh Ovidiu.. You were such an inspiration and with such an impressive career!
Loved your awesome designs, hilarious videos and overall mind-set Smile
Really gonna miss you dude!
Rest in peace.
Crying or Very Sad

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Remembering Ovidiu Opresco [message #59033 is a reply to message #58423 ] Fri, 21 December 2012 17:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AM3D  is currently offline AM3D
Go to my shop
Very sad news. Being new to shapeways I came across Ovidiu while browsing the site and enjoyed seeing "this old guy" making cool stuff. After looking at his photo I thought he seemed like quite a character. I also read about him at his Designer Spotlight page and was surprised that in his younger days he was a stunt man Shocked . He will be missed by many I'm sure. Rest in Peace. Smile
Re: Remembering Ovidiu Opresco [message #59063 is a reply to message #58423 ] Sat, 22 December 2012 02:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
Ovidiu showed us how to live. A life should be spent moving, changing, learning, growing, experimenting, and always creating. We should all strive to maintain that vitality as long and as well he did.

Re: Remembering Ovidiu Opresco [message #61892 is a reply to message #58423 ] Tue, 12 February 2013 17:08 UTC Go to previous message
avatar MichaelMueller  is currently offline MichaelMueller
Go to my shop
Sad

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de

Previous Topic:Point Me in the Direction? Toy Prototypes
Next Topic:Today's Shapeways $1 = E? is

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.