Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Community » General Discussion » 3d printing how to explain it?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
3d printing how to explain it? [message #58422] Tue, 11 December 2012 20:23 UTC Go to next message
avatar Jose_narvaez  is currently offline Jose_narvaez
Go to my shop
hello everyone i just recently showed my 3d printed designs to all people in my facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/Idea10
and with some details i have to fix in my designs they are almost ready to sell here in shapeways
or even in my facebook page, just a question: how to explain the 3d printing process? to show the hole process of the design?
well, if you can give me a like in the page too i will appreciate it Laughing
have a nice day
Re: 3d printing how to explain it? [message #58425 is a reply to message #58422 ] Tue, 11 December 2012 21:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
http://www.shapeways.com/about/how_does_it_work

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: 3d printing how to explain it? [message #58452 is a reply to message #58422 ] Wed, 12 December 2012 08:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
There's quite a few videos on YouTube that show the print processes for some of the materials.

My usual explaination to people I meet is;
A layer of powder is laid down. A laser zaps the powder to melt the powder into a slice of the model, the whole lot is repeated over and over until all of the slices are fused together, Any excess powder is removed and you end up with something like this - this is when I hand over an item for them to look at. At this point, they either 'get it' or they don't.

Paul

Re: 3d printing how to explain it? [message #58473 is a reply to message #58452 ] Wed, 12 December 2012 15:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I use an explanation very similiiar to Pauls, except that I use the word "melt" instead of "zap". <grin>
It does really bend their minds though if you show them a peice that has moving parts, and explain that it required no assembly out of the printer.

After I explain it.. most people I meet say "That's really cool... can you make one of THESE??"
They never seem to want one of what I am holding.. but they've cooked up an idea for a new design on the spot. <grin>

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: 3d printing how to explain it? [message #58517 is a reply to message #58473 ] Thu, 13 December 2012 00:37 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Jose_narvaez  is currently offline Jose_narvaez
Go to my shop
well, thanks for all your explanation it seems to me very clearly to show the hole process and with the videos and pictures there´s no way can´t understand me Laughing hopefully more people will be interested in 3d printting and their multiple possibilities. it´s really amazing that what you can do on your computer in your home can become something real that you can hold in your hand. Shocked Everyone should know this

Previous Topic:Precious metal laser sintering
Next Topic:Lotion bottle?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.