Home » Support » 3D Design » Is there a way to allow people to pick and choose which parts they want to buy from a single file?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Is there a way to allow people to pick and choose which parts they want to buy from a single file? [message #58364] Tue, 11 December 2012 00:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar echotransformer  is currently offline echotransformer
Go to my shop
Hello,

I have a kit of 26 parts that I'd like to make modular, that is to allow customers to buy all the parts or specific parts in the kit.

Right now I am using 'design configurations' in my CAD software, but creating all the sub-kits and variations is VERY labor intensive. Is there a way to create this on the Shapeways side?

For reference, here is the kit:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/820929/echo-herc-v5-the-full- monty.html?key=2d42e57ee60c947dc818eb04425659fa

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Steve
Re: Is there a way to allow people to pick and choose which parts they want to buy from a single fil [message #58377 is a reply to message #58364 ] Tue, 11 December 2012 04:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
No, you can't offer individual shells within a file for sale separately.
You'll have to upload each of them as a separate file.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Is there a way to allow people to pick and choose which parts they want to buy from a single fil [message #58386 is a reply to message #58377 ] Tue, 11 December 2012 10:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Stony is right - we don't offer this functionality at this time.

If you're looking to automate this, take a look at OpenSCAD: http://www.openscad.org/

It's an open-source, scriptable tool. You should be able to create a script that loads the required parts (maybe even by parsing a simple configuration file), combining them and writing a new .STL file.

That might save you some time?

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Is there a way to allow people to pick and choose which parts they want to buy from a single fil [message #58594 is a reply to message #58386 ] Fri, 14 December 2012 01:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
@Stonysmith: Thanks for the fast reply!

bartv wrote on Tue, 11 December 2012 10:30

Stony is right - we don't offer this functionality at this time.

If you're looking to automate this, take a look at OpenSCAD: http://www.openscad.org/

It's an open-source, scriptable tool. You should be able to create a script that loads the required parts (maybe even by parsing a simple configuration file), combining them and writing a new .STL file.

That might save you some time?

Bart

@Bart: Solidworks is automating the configuration nicely, but maybe this scriptable tool can help manage the STLs...breaking down a large multi-body file into individual kits that can be uploaded...thanks, I'll look into it. Still, I really wish Shapeways had a feature like what I described above (not that this isn't the coolest service on the web these days...you guys rawk!)
Re: Is there a way to allow people to pick and choose which parts they want to buy from a single fil [message #59214 is a reply to message #58594 ] Wed, 26 December 2012 10:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar woody64  is currently offline woody64
Go to my shop
I followed a similar problem for some time. Therefore I've started some investigations and created an experimental frontend.
The intension was similar. Let the user choose from a subet of X items and create one new part out of it.

http://stlcreator.mac-au.eu/indexb.html

There's a php engine in the background which generates a new stl where all the parts were connected via a sprue.
The system can be configured to deal with new items of my production.

Unfortunately the upload interface stopped working after the first trials and I never got it running again.
(currently it fails with another failure maybe the interface has been changed)
[Correction: I get a Mail that i have uploaded a stl fiile but the model doesn't become visible in the my models page
that could also be caused by a failure on my side. If I upload the stl file per hand it's normally ok]

To be honest I think this topic is very difficult to solve on the shop owner side. There's a request in the shapeways' feedback platform to deal with this topic but so far the effort seems to high ...

Woody64

[Updated on: Wed, 26 December 2012 18:18 UTC]

Re: Is there a way to allow people to pick and choose which parts they want to buy from a single fil [message #59234 is a reply to message #59214 ] Wed, 26 December 2012 17:00 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Thanks Woody64...you have impressive know-how in this regard.

Here's hoping there's a strong enough business case in the near future...I know my sales would increase!

Previous Topic:Ring won't print - need some feedback / advice
Next Topic:Some Screen Shots of Uploaded Models from Netfabb that were Rejected.