Home » Support » 3D Design » Is there a way to allow people to pick and choose which parts they want to buy from a single file?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Is there a way to allow people to pick and choose which parts they want to buy from a single file? [message #58364] Tue, 11 December 2012 00:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar echotransformer  is currently offline echotransformer
Go to my shop
Hello,

I have a kit of 26 parts that I'd like to make modular, that is to allow customers to buy all the parts or specific parts in the kit.

Right now I am using 'design configurations' in my CAD software, but creating all the sub-kits and variations is VERY labor intensive. Is there a way to create this on the Shapeways side?

For reference, here is the kit:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/820929/echo-herc-v5-the-full- monty.html?key=2d42e57ee60c947dc818eb04425659fa

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Steve
Re: Is there a way to allow people to pick and choose which parts they want to buy from a single fil [message #58377 is a reply to message #58364 ] Tue, 11 December 2012 04:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
No, you can't offer individual shells within a file for sale separately.
You'll have to upload each of them as a separate file.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Is there a way to allow people to pick and choose which parts they want to buy from a single fil [message #58386 is a reply to message #58377 ] Tue, 11 December 2012 10:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Stony is right - we don't offer this functionality at this time.

If you're looking to automate this, take a look at OpenSCAD: http://www.openscad.org/

It's an open-source, scriptable tool. You should be able to create a script that loads the required parts (maybe even by parsing a simple configuration file), combining them and writing a new .STL file.

That might save you some time?

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Is there a way to allow people to pick and choose which parts they want to buy from a single fil [message #58594 is a reply to message #58386 ] Fri, 14 December 2012 01:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
@Stonysmith: Thanks for the fast reply!

bartv wrote on Tue, 11 December 2012 10:30

Stony is right - we don't offer this functionality at this time.

If you're looking to automate this, take a look at OpenSCAD: http://www.openscad.org/

It's an open-source, scriptable tool. You should be able to create a script that loads the required parts (maybe even by parsing a simple configuration file), combining them and writing a new .STL file.

That might save you some time?

Bart

@Bart: Solidworks is automating the configuration nicely, but maybe this scriptable tool can help manage the STLs...breaking down a large multi-body file into individual kits that can be uploaded...thanks, I'll look into it. Still, I really wish Shapeways had a feature like what I described above (not that this isn't the coolest service on the web these days...you guys rawk!)
Re: Is there a way to allow people to pick and choose which parts they want to buy from a single fil [message #59214 is a reply to message #58594 ] Wed, 26 December 2012 10:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar woody64  is currently offline woody64
Go to my shop
I followed a similar problem for some time. Therefore I've started some investigations and created an experimental frontend.
The intension was similar. Let the user choose from a subet of X items and create one new part out of it.

http://stlcreator.mac-au.eu/indexb.html

There's a php engine in the background which generates a new stl where all the parts were connected via a sprue.
The system can be configured to deal with new items of my production.

Unfortunately the upload interface stopped working after the first trials and I never got it running again.
(currently it fails with another failure maybe the interface has been changed)
[Correction: I get a Mail that i have uploaded a stl fiile but the model doesn't become visible in the my models page
that could also be caused by a failure on my side. If I upload the stl file per hand it's normally ok]

To be honest I think this topic is very difficult to solve on the shop owner side. There's a request in the shapeways' feedback platform to deal with this topic but so far the effort seems to high ...

Woody64

[Updated on: Wed, 26 December 2012 18:18 UTC]

More then 8100 items sold over SW (but still a hobby)
Minifigcustomsin3d at: Facebook Flickr Twitter
References: 3d Printing Industries, CNN, J. Burks, Ugly Duckling, M.Evans, Stop Motion Film,Computer BILD, How to Become a 3D Printing Entrepreneur
More then 270 shop items (more then 146 already printed once) More the 500 successful Products (Items&material printed once)
Re: Is there a way to allow people to pick and choose which parts they want to buy from a single fil [message #59234 is a reply to message #59214 ] Wed, 26 December 2012 17:00 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Thanks Woody64...you have impressive know-how in this regard.

Here's hoping there's a strong enough business case in the near future...I know my sales would increase!

Previous Topic:Ring won't print - need some feedback / advice
Next Topic:Some Screen Shots of Uploaded Models from Netfabb that were Rejected.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.