Home » Community » It arrived! » Robot Trooper
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Robot Trooper [message #5642] Mon, 03 August 2009 01:32 UTC Go to next message
avatar rbot  is currently offline rbot
Go to all my models
So I was planning on posting this when it was finished, but with work and the time involved it would probably be another month before I could post a finished pic.
The model arrived on the 15th of July and I was extremely happy with it, thanks again Shapeways! I've been trying to finish it out in my spare time, the plan is to make a mold and do some resin castings once the finishing work is done. I wanted it to be a poseable figure, but this version will be best suited as a model kit, since some of the joints are too loose and some pieces broke because they were way too small (the wrist pegs), but no big deal, that was easily fixed with some styrene tubing.
I was planning on setting up a shop and trying to sell this, but this version is not buyer friendly as is, even if you are a kit builder there is way too much finishing work in my opinion.
Will post an update once it's finished.index.php?t=getfile&id=1064&private=0

Update, finished pic.
index.php?t=getfile&id=4107&private=0

[Updated on: Fri, 09 July 2010 05:05 UTC]

Re: Robot Trooper [message #5643 is a reply to message #5642 ] Mon, 03 August 2009 15:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
The design is quite beautiful.

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: Robot Trooper [message #5644 is a reply to message #5642 ] Mon, 03 August 2009 16:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tree  is currently offline tree
Go to my shop
love it!

do the fingers move?

keep shiney
Tree
Re: Robot Trooper [message #5672 is a reply to message #5644 ] Wed, 05 August 2009 09:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tedparsec  is currently offline tedparsec
Go to my shop
Really great design !
( and the white/gray color sheme is just fine.)
Re: Robot Trooper [message #5688 is a reply to message #5642 ] Wed, 05 August 2009 17:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks everyone for your comments, much appreciated.

Whystler, I hope it stays beautiful once I paint it.

tree, no the fingers don't move, but that is something that might work on a larger one.

tedparsec, I'm currently giving it the primer coat to smooth out the surface defects and will give it a proper paint job once that is done.

The paint scheme if anyone was wondering will be based off a city cop or state trooper car. Blue and white or black and white, with the two protrusions on the top of the head being the red and blue lights.
Robot "Police" Trooper was the original idea, just never put that in the description.
Re: Robot Trooper [message #5694 is a reply to message #5642 ] Wed, 05 August 2009 20:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MaxSMoke777  is currently offline MaxSMoke777
Go to my shop
That is pretty awesome!

Don't forget to add alot of wear and tear to the paint job. A little silver on the sharp edges, where the paint wears off first. Black paint in every dirty, oily crevice. Some silver scratches and shaded dents, where evil-doers have left their mark. How about paint in some burn marks and subtle bullet dents? And don't forget the ID numbers, rank, and badge detail. Every government robot would be full of information stenciled all over it's body. You know those government types!

Re: Robot Trooper [message #5701 is a reply to message #5694 ] Thu, 06 August 2009 06:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks MaxSMoke777, I plan to do everything you mentioned, no robot is complete without those qualities. I was kicking around the idea of doing two in a scene together, one with all the battle marks and one fresh off the assembly line, kinda a veteran and rookie partner scenario.
Re: Robot Trooper [message #6302 is a reply to message #5642 ] Sun, 06 September 2009 05:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Galbot  is currently offline Galbot
Go to my shop
My husband has over 3000 robots in his collection so I've developed an eye for "cool" robots. This is a refreshing, original design. Good to see.
Re: Robot Trooper [message #6363 is a reply to message #6302 ] Tue, 08 September 2009 17:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks Galbot,
That means a lot coming from someone whose seen a ton of robots... over 3000 that's awesome!
Re: Robot Trooper [message #6374 is a reply to message #6363 ] Tue, 08 September 2009 23:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
I love it!!!

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: Robot Trooper [message #6379 is a reply to message #6363 ] Wed, 09 September 2009 11:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Galbot  is currently offline Galbot
Go to my shop
rbot wrote on Tue, 08 September 2009 17:33

Thanks Galbot,
That means a lot coming from someone whose seen a ton of robots... over 3000 that's awesome!

Transformers, diaclones, shogun warriors, popy, and other japanese 70s super robots festoon our house. I personally collect Hasbro Mighty Muggs and other urban vinyl. We have pics up on the net if you ever want a look just PM me.

Your model isn't really our scene but I can tell you it sure is a hell of a lot of other peoples. You know I've seen transformers "garage" kits like this that sold like wildfire that were made the same way but they were bulkier and less insectlike. In fact there is one circulating right now as a super-limited-run that will probably sell for about $US350 in about 2 years at about 10cm.

You've got the skills, keep working on it.
Re: Robot Trooper [message #6381 is a reply to message #6379 ] Wed, 09 September 2009 12:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TreadshotA1  is currently offline TreadshotA1
Go to my shop
On the topic of Transformers, one of the reasons that i wanted to get one printed myself was because i think it would make a great Animated Kickback Transformer, with some modifications and a lick of paint. Hence i agree with Galbot that it is insect-like, and a very good insect at that.

I can also say i have seen many garage kits like this for transformers as well.

I really like it.

[Updated on: Wed, 09 September 2009 13:00 UTC]

Re: Robot Trooper [message #16094 is a reply to message #6381 ] Sun, 15 August 2010 06:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar chd  is currently offline chd
Go to my shop
I want one! or a Legion!
Re: Robot Trooper [message #16104 is a reply to message #16094 ] Sun, 15 August 2010 13:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tadao2289  is currently offline tadao2289
Go to all my models
great work! what material did you use??
Re: Robot Trooper [message #16105 is a reply to message #5642 ] Sun, 15 August 2010 13:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
This is absolutely stunning work; the level of detail and articulation you've included is incredible! I'm also a robot nut (definitely over 1000 Transformers, though I stopped counting years ago - they're all over the house Razz).

I definitely think you should tweak your model and make it available as a kit; once you've figured out what extra post-processing work you're having to do, you should be able to tweak the model to fix any problems you've had (that's what I'm doing with mine; 2nd gen prints should be pretty much perfect).
What material(s) did you print it in?

Andy
Re: Robot Trooper [message #16135 is a reply to message #16105 ] Mon, 16 August 2010 00:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Gorgeous paint job and nicely put together. What was this modelled in?

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Robot Trooper [message #16151 is a reply to message #5642 ] Mon, 16 August 2010 04:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar chaitanyak  is currently offline chaitanyak
Go to my shop
its quite stunning as is!
can you post pics of the thigh socket assembly?
am working on a posable creature model myself, so have been looking at what others have accomplished in terms of ball and socket joints
Re: Robot Trooper [message #16629 is a reply to message #5642 ] Tue, 24 August 2010 21:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GameToys  is currently offline GameToys
Go to my shop
Superb! Really awesome to see. If I may ask - what was the rough budget for getting this printed?

Also - if anyone wants to share pics of their Transformers collections, I'd love to see them. =)
Re: Robot Trooper [message #16654 is a reply to message #5642 ] Wed, 25 August 2010 14:20 UTC Go to previous message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shocked WOW !

That is so amazing! Fantastic model and good paint job!
(although the original colors have their own charm!)

This I really like ! Cool

Cheers,

Stijn

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -

Previous Topic:Scoubidou
Next Topic:Birthday Gift

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.