Home » Support » 3D Design » ''extruding'' an image for full-color sandstone
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
''extruding'' an image for full-color sandstone [message #58345] Mon, 10 December 2012 19:52 UTC Go to next message
avatar lemire182  is currently offline lemire182
Go to my shop
Hi Shapeways,
I am having a tough time getting my 3d textured model uploaded on the site and I would like some help.

Basically, I want to print in full-color sandstone a flat 3mm thick part (30mm x 40,5mm) with an image on the top side.

The image is a 16-bit version of the character Link and I want that image to be 3mm thick, but without the gray section
(I have attached the image with my .wrl file). I want a flat "figurine" of link in full-color sandstone, but I was using Solidworks
and couldn't seem to get the image fixed on the top suface of my part. I have then tried drawing it in google sketch up then exporting it
to meshlab following the steps to this tutorial:

http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/textured_models_with_sket chup_and_meshlab

I used a X = 0.001 scaling and then exported it to a VRML file. I then uploaded the picture with the 3d part in a zip file which is the one I have attached here.

Could I get some help as I have no idea why my part is being rejected and how I could change it. Is there an easier way to "extrude"
a colored image? What can I do?

Thank you in advance!

Anthony Lemire

• Attachment: link.zip
    (Size: 9.83KB, Downloaded 20 time(s))

Re: ''extruding'' an image for full-color sandstone [message #58358 is a reply to message #58345 ] Mon, 10 December 2012 23:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
There sure was a problem. When that tutorial enters the part about converting to a wrl with meshlab, horrors can occur. Post a Sketchup file of it., I will fix it up for you. Or you can try to convert it to x3d

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: ''extruding'' an image for full-color sandstone [message #58360 is a reply to message #58345 ] Tue, 11 December 2012 00:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Two issues with the model.

1 - too small. scaling up by x1000 might work for Frosted Ultra Detail at 0.3mm thickness - check your sizes and measurement units.
2 - image file path within the wrl file - the image filename within the wrl file should be just the image file name without the folder path, i.e. colur.jpg rather than My Douments/colulr.jpg - a manual fix is easy enough with a text editor such as wordpad.

Fixed file attached - you will need to scale this for the print to work in FCS

Paul

Re: ''extruding'' an image for full-color sandstone [message #58367 is a reply to message #58345 ] Tue, 11 December 2012 02:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
To answer your question about extruding images. There is a technique to export a path in a format called .svg. Basically in a image editor open the image file,select the grey area. Inverse select, turn selection to a path, export path as a svg. When you import the svg you will get a closed curve , in your case.
Gimp can do it, its free, might need to read a tut on it.

I imported the svg into blender , filled the curve,turned it into a mesh, then set dimensions in unit measurements, then UV unwrapped the top faces. http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_823820_70115 9_1355183528.jpg . It sounds complicated till you have done it a few times.Smile

Your last image was created in SU, 30 mm x 40.5 mm x 3mm dimensions. If you had scaled it by .001 the scaling would have been fine. Would have been scaled to the dimensions of .030 mm x .0405 mm x .003mm.. Considering when you uploaded, set upload value to m, the model gets rescaled by 1000 with the vrml weirdness, results are 30mm x 40.5 mm x 3mm for the print.

This usually works, except you used SU, which basic measuring units are in a percentage of inches. Soooo, if you export it as a wrl, dimensions in basic units will be 1.181 x 1.5984 x .188. So now for a vmrl, you have to scale it by 25.4, then follow the instructions above,

Its a pain, but so is regular modelling. But holding the finished product you designed is worth it.

Keith

[Updated on: Thu, 13 December 2012 18:39 UTC]

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: ''extruding'' an image for full-color sandstone [message #58437 is a reply to message #58358 ] Tue, 11 December 2012 23:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for responding!

I have attached the sketch up file. Was there only a problem with the scaling or are there holes or something in my mesh?
And to I have to change the normals on my part so the top face looks better?

Cheers,
Anthony Lemire

• Attachment: link.skp
    (Size: 77.11KB, Downloaded 14 time(s))

• Attachment: Link_16_bit.png
    (Size: 9.67KB, Downloaded 26 time(s))

Re: ''extruding'' an image for full-color sandstone [message #58487 is a reply to message #58345 ] Wed, 12 December 2012 18:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Looked at the SKP file. Seems you put a asphalt texture on it first, then added Link's image on the same face. This is called overlapping uv maps which Sw's printer gets confused, thus it does not get printed. It is similar to a layered texture. Exported it as a .dae, from SU, looked good. All the normals were oriented correctly.
You are still going to have to scale it,and since it was made in SU, not by .001, but .0254. SU converts mm and cm measurement values you model with as a percentage of an inch. So a model with a length you assign in the program at 25.4 would have a basic unit length of 1. Your models designed dimensions were cm 3 x 4.05 x .3. SU bounding box dimensions were inch 1.181 x 1.594 x .118. The latter dimensions are what SW uses when you choose the upload units. So now just scale your model by 25.4, then by .001, or just .0254 for a wrl since SW regards your basic unit as a meter. Now the basic units are in a percentage of a meter. Upload as a meter for a wrl or any file formats SW allows you to upload for color printing.
If you just want to upload a stl in this case, scale by 25.4, upload mm.

Keith

Keith
Re: ''extruding'' an image for full-color sandstone [message #58504 is a reply to message #58437 ] Wed, 12 December 2012 20:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
There's nothing wrong with the normals (using your orignal zipped vrml), the scale was off and the image filepath wasn't trncated to just the filename. For some reason the edge colours aren't spot on but it looks like that is just a matter of stretching the image outwards of the bottom right followed by cropping the image to the original size.

Uploads fine Wink
http://shpws.me/mU6x

Paul

Re: ''extruding'' an image for full-color sandstone [message #58580 is a reply to message #58504 ] Thu, 13 December 2012 21:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for helping!

it uploads fine, but I need it to be dead on, it seems to have shrunk in width but has conserved the same volume...

what's wrong with this scaling? I want the part to be 3,0 cm X 4,05 cm X 0,3 cm.. when uploaded, it turns out at 2.78 X 4.28 x 0,3cm.

and also, do the dimensions shown match the part, or are they slightly bigger for the bounding box?

cheers!
Anthony Lemire
Re: ''extruding'' an image for full-color sandstone [message #58585 is a reply to message #58345 ] Thu, 13 December 2012 22:15 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Lols it is fine. Shapeways will rotate the model, giving bounding box dimensions that will not sometimes match the dimensions you modeled. The volume being the same is what counts. You can experiment with this in a modeling program which can display a model as bounding box.
By the way, thanks for posting. I learned some good stuff in SU about texture positioning, and the Meshlab wrl texture fix. Helping another always improves your knowledge.
Watch out you might get into trouble trying to sell your model, copy write infringements. But on the good side, with a little extra modelling you could turn it into a pendant.

Keith

PS thanks to Paul for a coherant explanation of the wrl fix in the file. The SW tut needs some tinkering with.Hint,hint.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 December 2012 22:18 UTC]

Keith

Previous Topic:Normals Need to Be facing Outward or Inward?
Next Topic:Help with pricing...why did such a small change raise my price so much?