Problem uploading file

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jermm, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Jermm
    Jermm Member
    Hello, I am new to shapeways and have been working on my first project. A ring, for a really good friend of mine with inscriptions.

since it is a ring I need to file to be printed just as I created it in CAD, or it wont fit, however when I do this, the dimensions are not accurate and the ring is either too large or too small. What am I doing wrong here? It is a .stl file exported from Autodesk Inventor.

I tried meters, inches, and (mm? whatever the third option was) but none are correct.

thanks you :)

I will attach the file if it helps..

Attached Files:

2. Okaaysy, what inner radius do you need for the ring(Ring size?) Post it, you are set

3. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Your cad program is reporting the units as inches, but it's getting uploaded as millimeters.
    Grab a copy of Netfabb Basic and scale your model up by 25.4 then upload it as millimeters.

But.. be warned. You've got the engraved lettering at a depth of +2mm with an average width of only 0.3mm Are you wanting to have this done in Sliver?

From the Silver materials page: The width of a detail must be the same or greater than how far it sinks in from the surface.

Use a bolder font and/or don't sink the letters so deep into the ring.

4. Jermm
    Jermm Member
    ring size 7, 8.65 mm inside radius.

ps: I updated file so use that.

thank you!

Attached Files:

5. well, its dimensions were 2.33 x .508 x 2.33. If you export as a stl, scale it by 10, set at upload at SW to mm. SW will get dimensions of 23.3mm x 5.08mm x 23.3mm. Same as CM 2.33 x .508 x 2.33.
    I used scene data to check the original, inner radius matched.
    If your program supports dae export, all you would have to do is set units to cm, export as a dae. No scaling needed then, since SW recognizes scene data for .dae files, and do not have to set upload measurements.

6. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

7. For an experiment, what material volume did you get Paul. I wound up with .87cm cubed

8. Jermm
    Jermm Member
    Thank you everyone for the help! I was actually able to figure it out myself! (incorrectly though... oops) I scaled it down to get .514 instead of .505 by accident :( I also ordered it when I did that! luckily it wasn't a big difference. I am very new to this stuff haha.

9. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    NetFabb gives 0.90cc at 10x scale.

Paul
    [hr][hr]