Paragraphing in Model Description dialogue???

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by 133481_deleted, Dec 10, 2012.

1. This may sound stupid, but I don't see how I can get my description to appear in paragraphs. I've seen it done in some stores, but many don't have it as well. My long item description looks too messy and who knows, might make me lose some sales. Please, if it's possible can someone tell me how?! :mad:

2. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Try with HTML tags, like <p> or <br>.

3. bartv
    bartv Member
    We don't officially support using images in the description. You might be able to 'hack' it with HTML, but it may get filtered out in the future. Better stick to the way default images work!

4. 7777773
    7777773 Member
    He was asking about Paragraphing, not images... by default your description will be mashed together into one big messy lump, no matter how you type it.
    I hadn't thought of trying html pagebreaks - Thanks, Stannum!

5. bartv
    bartv Member
    Ack, my bad, sorry. I'll raise this issue again in our product team.

Bart

6. mygadgetlife
    mygadgetlife Well-Known Member
    I insert a couple of <br> into my descriptions to separate paragraphs, seems to work - be careful though, when you go to edit a description you might need to put them all back in due to the way the text is filtered.

7. TinyMtn
    TinyMtn Member
    I find it best to just use straight-up HTML paragraph tags:
    Code:
    <p>
    One paragraph here.
    </p>
    <p>
    Another paragraph here.
    </p>
    This always seems to work.

8. HazelwoodModels
    HazelwoodModels Well-Known Member
    Several HTML commands work.

Another useful one is:-

<strong> Shout Louder </strong>

9. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hey guys,

I'm reviving this thread - the Product team has asked me for your input on a better model description editor. Which options do you think it should (and should not!) support? How can we help you make a better product page by offering other editing options?

Please share your input & examples (either your Shapeways product pages or elsewhere).

Thanks!

Bart

10. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Being able to disable it and type the basic HTML tags as now would be a good feature. Some people can type faster than can point and click.

11. HazelwoodModels
    HazelwoodModels Well-Known Member
    A front end like eBay would be the ideal, everything is there.

12. TrainThingz
    TrainThingz Member
    Glad I found this... was having the same issues with paragraph breaks!

I don't understand, though, why you have one text editor on the product pages in the shops, and another one here... why not use this one both places?

A couple of things I'd like to see in the shops product pages... the ability to have a list of all tags associated with my shop in a list, and be able to just check them to enable them... like the materials list. This would help those of us who aren't the greatest typists and keep us from having duplicate or NEAR-duplicate tags.

It would also be great to be able to select several items and edit their descriptive text all at once - especially if there were "shared text" and "unique text" sections so those one or two lines that are different would be simpler to add. I could go through and add all the shared text at once, then just fix up a couple of lines on each one individually.

I'm sure I'll have more suggestions later. :cool:

13. bartv
    bartv Member
    Thanks! We're currently working on an overhaul for the Product page and I'll forward all your suggestions to the involved team.

Cheers,

Bart

14. TinyMtn
    TinyMtn Member
    Did this overhaul consist of removing the paragraph spacing in the customer-facing product description page, but not in the shop-owner "Edit Details" page?

Just surrounding my paragraphs with
    Code:
    <p>Paragraph here</p>
    <p>Next paragraph here</p>
    no longer works (as of maybe 1-2 weeks ago). Now, (in Firefox, IE, and Opera) to get proper space between paragraphs in the customer-facing product page, I need to use
    Code:
    <p>Paragraph here</p>
    <br>
    <p>Next paragraph here</p>
    Why change the way HTML has always been rendered? Should I re-upload dozens of descriptions, or might this be returned to it's original behavior soon?

15. TrainThingz
    TrainThingz Member
    You can accomplish the same thing just by doubling up the BR tags and leaving out the P

Code:
    paragraph paragraph paragraph
    <br><br>
    <br><br>

First one ends the line above, second one spaces it.

I never thought all that hand-coding of HTML 3 I did back in the day would ever come in handy again... :)

16. TinyMtn
    TinyMtn Member
    Sure, there are probably many ways to accomplish it. I was kind of hoping the straightforward <p> tags that have worked for 15 years would have been the answer.

17. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    I agree that it is frustrating that <p> does not really do what it would on a web page. I also find it odd that other tags are not implemented such as <i> and <b>.

Covered in this thread

18. SavIsSavvy
    SavIsSavvy Member
    Thank you all for your feedback. As Bart said, we're in the process of a huge overhaul and look forward to better usability in the future!

19. TinyMtn
    TinyMtn Member
    Cool. Looking forward to it. I just didn't know if I was seeing the overhauled version yet. Until then, I guess descriptions will just look messy.

20. SavIsSavvy
    SavIsSavvy Member
    We're gradually making a lot of changes, so hang in there :)