Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » modeler needed to fix my stl errors in 3Dmax
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
modeler needed to fix my stl errors in 3Dmax [message #58300] Mon, 10 December 2012 05:38 UTC Go to next message
avatar carlyemma  is currently offline carlyemma
Go to my shop
Hi there,

I've exported my model into 3D max from Revit, and have run an stl check on it... some errors are showing yp and not being well versed in 3D max... have no idea how to fix them.

Cheers,
Carly

• Attachment: KO5 BOX.max
    (Size: 636.00KB, Downloaded 24 time(s))

Re: modeler needed to fix my stl errors in 3Dmax [message #58334 is a reply to message #58300 ] Mon, 10 December 2012 17:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Could you include a stl, with the dimensions you want it printed ./me cannot convert a max file.Smile

Keith

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: modeler needed to fix my stl errors in 3Dmax [message #58441 is a reply to message #58334 ] Wed, 12 December 2012 00:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi Fred,

PLease find attached STL file,
It sits within the max bounding box of 220mm x 220mm
Thanks!
Carly

• Attachment: K03 BOX.STL
    (Size: 147.20KB, Downloaded 26 time(s))

Re: modeler needed to fix my stl errors in 3Dmax [message #58453 is a reply to message #58441 ] Wed, 12 December 2012 09:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Carly,

Asides from the size, your model uploads to Shapeways just fine.
Shapeways have some software called Mesh Medic that automatically
checks models for errors and make repairs.
You can also download NetFabb Stusio Basic (free) for error checking
and repair before uploading to Shapeways. You can also use NetFabb
for measuring and rescaling.

Here's what NetFabb reveals;
index.php?t=getfile&id=24220&private=0

I suspect that the parts are made up of individual surfaces that are
not all joined together.

Paul

• Attachment: K3 Box.JPG
    (Size: 198.52KB, Downloaded 85 time(s))

Re: modeler needed to fix my stl errors in 3Dmax [message #58510 is a reply to message #58300 ] Wed, 12 December 2012 21:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
index.php?t=getfile&id=24251&private=0Here is an example of the start of the problems. You took a 6 sided circle, made a copy, then subdivided it. Then you extruded and started manipulating the mesh to create a model. But the two circles edges overlapped which is not good. Similar problems like that happened. No big deal, being new to modelling is tough enough, without having to worry about the specifics needed also for getting a model printable for 3D purposes.

Netfabb prolly fixed the errors in a second so its worth uploading, as mentioned above.

Keith

[Updated on: Wed, 12 December 2012 21:22 UTC]

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: modeler needed to fix my stl errors in 3Dmax [message #58529 is a reply to message #58510 ] Thu, 13 December 2012 02:55 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Awesome,
Thanks so much for your responses and help! I'll try Netfabb now and see how I go Smile

Previous Topic:Animal Modeler
Next Topic:Toy Combine 3D Modeler needed