Home » Community » General Discussion » Shapeways Disclaimer
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Shapeways Disclaimer [message #58295] Mon, 10 December 2012 04:00 UTC Go to next message
avatar SRZDesign  is currently offline SRZDesign
Go to my shop
What's the reason for not coming in contact with electricity? And how do they have coffee mugs here when they are not food safe? Or I'm missing something.. thanks.

"Please note that the 3D printed products are intended for decorative purposes. They are not suited to be used as toys or to be given to underage children. The products should not come into contact with electricity and be kept away from heat. Our materials, except for 3D printed glazed ceramic, are not food safe."
Re: Shapeways Disclaimer [message #58298 is a reply to message #58295 ] Mon, 10 December 2012 05:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar megmaltese  is currently offline megmaltese
Go to my shop
About food safety I've read somewhere that the only suitable material is ceramics, so you can make cups out of it Razz

Abide.
Re: Shapeways Disclaimer [message #58305 is a reply to message #58295 ] Mon, 10 December 2012 09:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Quote:

What's the reason for not coming in contact with electricity

For the metals, this should be obvious. For the other materials, even if non-conductive, shapeways would probably
have to pay for certification by some recognized authority to be able to specify supported use cases. (Even then - up
to which voltage/current rating, and who takes the liability when the material is claimed safe but a part is constructed
such that the user is not sufficiently shielded from live wires, etc.)

As to your other question, the sentence you quoted explicitly names glazed ceramics as food safe. There may be ways
to make the sintered plastics food safe as well - primarily you need a non-toxic, non-leaching, easy to clean surface - but
they are not as simple and universally recognized as glazing ceramics.
Re: Shapeways Disclaimer [message #58319 is a reply to message #58295 ] Mon, 10 December 2012 11:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
It's all to do with certification as mkroeker points out.

Paul

Re: Shapeways Disclaimer [message #58323 is a reply to message #58319 ] Mon, 10 December 2012 12:16 UTC Go to previous message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
Quote:

What's the reason for not coming in contact with electricity

None of the plastics Shapeways supplies are reliable insulators. The various detail materials soften at low temperatures and WSF is porous and could hold moisture.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 December 2012 14:22 UTC]

Bill Bedford

Previous Topic:Problem uploading file
Next Topic:how do you offer something for same private with a link?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.