Home »  » Post Production Techniques » Sandstone Mold Question
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Sandstone Mold Question [message #58136] Fri, 07 December 2012 00:16 UTC Go to next message
avatar knurlDesign  is currently offline knurlDesign
Go to my shop
Hello,

Pre-pologies if this is an old question. I did my best to search. I've got a large part I'd like to eventually cast in rubber/silicone.

Because it's so big, I'm thinking of the following technique:

1.)Print master "positive" in sandstone (for economic reasons)

2.)Create mold of positive using traditional RTV molding techniques

3.)Cast part in silicone.

I fully expected destruction of the sandstone master upon de-molding which would be fine, assuming the mold is successful. I'm imagining a pretty much total disintegration at that point...just so long as it holds up until the mold cures!

My question here is mostly whether anyone would caution against sandstone as a "positive" material for reasons other than its fragility.

Texture-wise, I'm actually hoping for a somewhat rough surface in the casting, so to me sandstone offers that built in Smile

Any advice? Thanks in advance,

Jared

P.S. I'm also hoping to take advantage of the 15% off deal ending tonight, so fast answers will be much appreciated.

Re: Sandstone Mold Question [message #58315 is a reply to message #58136 ] Mon, 10 December 2012 10:27 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Hi jrogers04,

I know some artists who actually did this with FSC, although in their case they sanded and painted the positive first (it was for a bronze casting and required a smooth finish). They actually re-used the original afterwards, so if you're careful enough it may survive!

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways

Previous Topic:Has Anybody Painted the White, Strong Flexible Material?
Next Topic:Full Color Sandstone faded colors

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.