Home » Support » 3D Design » text is not placed/rotated correctly
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
text is not placed/rotated correctly [message #58123] Thu, 06 December 2012 20:51 UTC Go to next message
avatar dcltdw  is currently offline dcltdw
Go to all my models
Hi, all!
I created the attached DAE in Sketchup and then doublechecked it in MeshLab -- it looks fine in both. But after uploading, you can see how the text is not correctly and rotated:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/816960

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? The only thing that occurs to me is that the lettering is not attached to the underlying face, but I'm not sure how to confirm or deny that. (Or even if that would lead to the problems I'm seeing.)

http://www.shapeways.com/model/816973 is the result of uploading a MeshLab-created STL, but unfortunately, the relevant text side is hidden. If anyone knows how to get Shapeways to show a different angle, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Re: text is not placed/rotated correctly [message #58124 is a reply to message #58123 ] Thu, 06 December 2012 20:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Go to your item, click on the cube with the arrow going around it and you get the 3D view. You can than rotate it to see the underside that has the text.

Are your text elements just sitting on the face? If so, that will cause issues as faces can not share the same space.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 December 2012 21:00 UTC]

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: text is not placed/rotated correctly [message #58178 is a reply to message #58124 ] Fri, 07 December 2012 16:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
When you export as a .dae, it is important to explode all components, then select all, or weird stuff happens. Now an stl export likes components oddly enough.
You need to delete those two lines at the intersection of the cross piece , or it will create interior faces which is bad for manifoldness.

Keith

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: text is not placed/rotated correctly [message #58207 is a reply to message #58123 ] Fri, 07 December 2012 23:52 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Here is a technique for proper embossed test. At this step, you have two options.
1. Select both components, export as a stl, let SW do its boolean magic on it.
2. For extra practice in Sketchup, select both components, make a component,, under Tools select Outer shell. This performs a boolean union.

With your model, make each letter a component, move, rotate where the bottom face is flush with the top part of the cross pendant. When your satisfied, select all letter components, make them 1 component.Hide the pendant component, move the font component down to where both volumes intersect.
When you created the 3D font, you can set extrusion measurements. If you want it to have an extrusion length of 2mm, give it a length of 3 mm. in the next to last step, when you move the test component down, set distance at 1 mm.

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith

Previous Topic:Intersection of materials accepted?
Next Topic:Blender's solidify modifier

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.