text is not placed/rotated correctly

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by dcltdw, Dec 6, 2012.

1. dcltdw
    dcltdw Member
    Hi, all!
    I created the attached DAE in Sketchup and then doublechecked it in MeshLab -- it looks fine in both. But after uploading, you can see how the text is not correctly and rotated:

https://www.shapeways.com/model/816960

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? The only thing that occurs to me is that the lettering is not attached to the underlying face, but I'm not sure how to confirm or deny that. (Or even if that would lead to the problems I'm seeing.)

https://www.shapeways.com/model/816973 is the result of uploading a MeshLab-created STL, but unfortunately, the relevant text side is hidden. If anyone knows how to get Shapeways to show a different angle, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Attached Files:

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Go to your item, click on the cube with the arrow going around it and you get the 3D view. You can than rotate it to see the underside that has the text.

Are your text elements just sitting on the face? If so, that will cause issues as faces can not share the same space.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  3. When you export as a .dae, it is important to explode all components, then select all, or weird stuff happens. Now an stl export likes components oddly enough.
    You need to delete those two lines at the intersection of the cross piece , or it will create interior faces which is bad for manifoldness.

Keith

4. Here is a technique for proper embossed test. At this step, you have two options.
    1. Select both components, export as a stl, let SW do its boolean magic on it.
    2. For extra practice in Sketchup, select both components, make a component,, under Tools select Outer shell. This performs a boolean union.

With your model, make each letter a component, move, rotate where the bottom face is flush with the top part of the cross pendant. When your satisfied, select all letter components, make them 1 component.Hide the pendant component, move the font component down to where both volumes intersect.
    When you created the 3D font, you can set extrusion measurements. If you want it to have an extrusion length of 2mm, give it a length of 3 mm. in the next to last step, when you move the test component down, set distance at 1 mm.

Attached Files: