Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » General Discussion » My first attempt
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
My first attempt [message #57922] Mon, 03 December 2012 21:51 UTC Go to next message
avatar HarryLister  is currently offline HarryLister
Go to all my models
My first model is a wing tip for an RC plane. The plan is print it in WSF and then fill it with 2 part polyurethane foam and then cut, hack, sand away the excess foam and then use Bondo(polystyrene?) auto body filler and sand that smooth. No, it wont fly after all that. I'll use it as a plug for an epoxy and fiberglass mold.

The question is will the Bondo melt the WSF? Will the foam distort the shape as it expands? The solidify modifier was used and it says thickness is .01 and Outer is -1.00 but I dont know what that really means. ,01 and -1.00 what?

Here's the model:

Here's the .stl file attached

• Attachment: 7408left.stl
    (Size: 0.08KB, Downloaded 13 time(s))

Re: My first attempt [message #57938 is a reply to message #57922 ] Tue, 04 December 2012 04:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Fredd tells me the .stl file is no good so I'll include the blender file.

Re: My first attempt [message #57945 is a reply to message #57938 ] Tue, 04 December 2012 08:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I didnt think this thread got started and I have an almost identical one in the 3D modeling area. The main question was about units and scale and the other thread is addressing that.

The other part of this thread has to do with WSF properties and interaction with other materials. I want to use 2 part polyurethane to fill my hollow printed object to make it solid. I'm hoping the holes in the design will give the foam exit holes before it twists the object all out of shape. I've used this foam before and I'm pretty sure it wont be a problem.

The other bigger question is whether the WSF finish can handle Bondo and some sanding? I know Bondo will eat some foams but not polyurethane, so that leaves the WSF as the unknown to me.

The idea is to make a plug for a mold and this should have a very smooth finish and that's why I want to use Bondo, to get a slick finish.
Re: My first attempt [message #57950 is a reply to message #57945 ] Tue, 04 December 2012 09:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
WSF is sintered Nylon-12 powder. Just make sure anything you use is safe to use with Nylon-12.
Magic Sculp & car body filler paint have been used in the past, see http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=3073 9#msg_30739

Not sure about the measurements. You can download NetFabb Studio Basic for free and use the measuring tools to make sure wall thicknesses are right for the size - Also see 'Prevent walls warping on larger model' for info about wall thicknesses at http://www.shapeways.com/materials/strong-flexible-design-gu idelines

Paul

Re: My first attempt [message #57974 is a reply to message #57950 ] Tue, 04 December 2012 20:17 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Well, now the problem is clearer. The model got canceled because the wall thickness is too thin for the size. I used solidify again and submitted it and now it wont accept it. Weird, it accepts the thinner model but wont print it and then rejects a thcker model. I emailed the file, so maybe they can tell me what's wrong.

Previous Topic:Anyone tried carbon fiber nylon SLS?
Next Topic:items that you may not print

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.