Colour sandstone preview and video don't match.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lensman, Dec 1, 2012.

1. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Anyone know why the colour preview of my model looks fine and yet the "video" only shows that standard one colour? More importantly, does this mean the model will actually print in colour?

If you want to take a look it's HERE in my shop.

Glenn

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2012
  2. Glen, that was just odd. What type of uv mapping technique did you use?
    And what program did to convert ii into a VMRL?

3. lensman
    I use ZBrush to export directly to VRML, and to create the UV's I use the UV Master Plug-in (now native to the programme). I have used this method in the past and most recently with several colour models. None of them exhibited this behaviour. I do recall seeing someone post a similar "bug" here but I'm not able to find the post anymore.

I've also sent a message to Customer Service but I was hoping someone over the week-end could help.

Glenn

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Happens to mine regularly, although they only use two or three fixed colors assigned to
    primitives in the VRML file. Very simple models, say twelve red octahedra and two yellow
    ones, are correctly colored in the "video" preview, while larger ones have the colors applied
    to part of the structure, or are monochromic. If the static preview is correct, the prints will also
    be (allowing for limitations in the color range - a bright gold on screen ended up as a dirty
    ochre in print)

5. lensman
    Thanks, that's good to know. Perhaps Customer Support will shed some light as to why it happens.

Glenn

6. AlanHudson
    AlanHudson Shapeways Employee Dev Team
    The video is a software release behind. We improved the texture handling for the imageviewer first. We'll get the video fixed soon but I don't have a release date for you yet. The image is what your item will look like printed.

7. lensman
    Thanks, Alan, that's reassuring.