Home » Community » General Discussion » prototype to plastic injection tool?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
prototype to plastic injection tool? [message #57813] Sat, 01 December 2012 07:12 UTC Go to next message
avatar toomanychiefs  is currently offline toomanychiefs
Go to all my models
So im hoping to have a prototype created with 3d printing in hopes of eventually one day creating a tool for plastic injection molding.
can anyone lay some knowledge on processes and procedures for typical applications.

Ive gained much of my interest from www.kickstarter.com as well as the shapeways website. Hoping to have 3d models made in order to start a kickstarter campaign for injection mold tooling.

anyone walk down this road yet? or might be able to shed some light?

Thanks

Re: prototype to plastic injection tool? [message #57822 is a reply to message #57813 ] Sat, 01 December 2012 14:47 UTC Go to previous message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
You can look here for injection molding tips: Protomold resources. You can even upload your 3D print file for an automated review/feedback before 3D printing. If the design works for injection molding, it will most likely work for 3D printing.

The main thing for injection molding is the part needs to have fairly consistent thickness throughout, and it needs to be designed for easy extraction from the tool mold.

Pssst! I wrote a book to help you quickly get your Sketchup models ready for printing. Click here to get it on Amazon

Previous Topic:strange resizing...
Next Topic:Integrated 3D printed electronics a step closer

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.