Home » Community » General Discussion » Which Software Package???
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Which Software Package??? [message #57757] Fri, 30 November 2012 18:09 UTC Go to next message
avatar ben1787  is currently offline ben1787
Go to all my models
I am a smart fellow with programming and mathematical training but not in 3d modeling. I plan on becoming quite proficient in it though and using it to create objects to be printed. Based on that can you recommend a single software package? I don't want options. I'd like you to tell me what to use. Thanks all!!
Re: Which Software Package??? [message #57758 is a reply to message #57757 ] Fri, 30 November 2012 18:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign is currently online denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
With your background and training, http://www.openscad.org/

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"
Re: Which Software Package??? [message #57798 is a reply to message #57757 ] Fri, 30 November 2012 22:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=thread&frm_id =87& is also worth a look Wink

Paul

Re: Which Software Package??? [message #57845 is a reply to message #57798 ] Sun, 02 December 2012 00:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks denali. Stop4stuff, I think the link is wrong.
Re: Which Software Package??? [message #57847 is a reply to message #57845 ] Sun, 02 December 2012 01:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
erm... the link goes to the Shapeways Applications sub forum, how can it be wrong? If in doubt, just go to http://www.shapeways.com/forum/ and click on 3D Applications (towards the bott0m of the page that turns up)

PAUL (aka stop4stuff)

Re: Which Software Package??? [message #57882 is a reply to message #57758 ] Sun, 02 December 2012 20:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hi marcus. Seems like there are a number of bugs on OS X. The lighting is screwed up and certain commands do not render properly. Any alternative suggestions?

Thanks,
Ben
Re: Which Software Package??? [message #57896 is a reply to message #57882 ] Mon, 03 December 2012 08:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign is currently online denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Oh, you're on Mac...I'm just guessing now, but you might try POV-Ray.

There's a list of supported apps here if that doesn't work for you.

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"
Re: Which Software Package??? [message #57897 is a reply to message #57896 ] Mon, 03 December 2012 08:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar henryseg  is currently offline henryseg
Go to my shop
I use Rhino with python scripting. The Mac version of Rhino is in open beta, you can sign up for it at http://mac.rhino3d.com/

I gave a workshop on getting into Rhino/python (and a bit of Mathematica) aimed mostly at mathematicians:

Workshop notes for Mac
Workshop notes for Windows
Sample code
Re: Which Software Package??? [message #58126 is a reply to message #57897 ] Thu, 06 December 2012 21:47 UTC Go to previous message
avatar AlanHudson  is currently offline AlanHudson
Go to my shop
I work here
I would second Rhino as well. Especially because of their trial before you buy. I'm mostly a programmer but I've found their interface to really work for me.

Director 3D Tools

Previous Topic:Colour sandstone and durability and temperature query
Next Topic:Colour sandstone preview and video don't match.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.