Home » Community » Work in progress » Hollow Problem
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hollow Problem [message #57662] Thu, 29 November 2012 12:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar jeremyzschau  is currently offline jeremyzschau
Go to my shop
I am using Strata Design 3D CX6. I want to make a skin object and each slice of the skin is a compound path. I export the file as obj for NetFabb basic but the model appears with open ends.
index.php?t=getfile&id=23501&private=0

Re: Hollow Problem [message #57669 is a reply to message #57662 ] Thu, 29 November 2012 14:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Hmmm I've never heard of your CAD software, but in netfabb you should be able to close the shells.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Hollow Problem [message #57684 is a reply to message #57669 ] Thu, 29 November 2012 17:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Face normals facing the wrong direction will show up red in Netfabb basic also. Upload your object/stl file here so folks here can get a better look, possibly diagnose the problem.

Ignore the comments about the normals. I had a confusion attack. You have two holes, the inner hemispheres upper edge and the outer surfaces upper edge. Netfab will just close the outer cups edge when you try to repair it,leaving 2 shells. I bet you will wind up having to perform a boolean operartion, or manually connect verts, and fill holes

[Updated on: Thu, 29 November 2012 20:24 UTC]

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Hollow Problem [message #57735 is a reply to message #57684 ] Fri, 30 November 2012 09:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jeremyzschau  is currently offline jeremyzschau
Go to my shop
It's not the same but this model is more simple.

Re: Hollow Problem [message #57806 is a reply to message #57735 ] Sat, 01 December 2012 02:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
Export your file to Netfabb.
Click on repair, Red Cross
Hover over the icons at the top till you find 'Add Triangles' Click this
Pick one of the edges. It will turn blue. Pick another face over the red internal part.
A new face will be created.
Right click on the edge of the new face and pick 'Close Hole'.
The internal red is covered by a new face.
Flip model over and do the same on the other side.
Once done. Click on Apply Repair.
Go to Part - Export part.
Export as STL.

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Hollow Problem [message #57850 is a reply to message #57806 ] Sun, 02 December 2012 02:49 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
I tried out Jacants technique which worked wonderfully. I never did export it as a stl in NF for some reason. Opened it in Blender, some odd reason the holes were filled, except the interior one. Anyone that uses Blender needs to experiment with this, to prove I am not going crazier.

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith

Previous Topic:Ceramics Details (Need help!)
Next Topic:help joining shells (free earrings to the one who fixes it!)

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.