Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Dissolve powder material
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Dissolve powder material [message #57611] Wed, 28 November 2012 14:47 UTC Go to next message
avatar izaklast  is currently offline izaklast
Go to all my models
I purchased an item that I used as pattern for casting a product. The material is satin black ceramics. Unfortunately, it will not extract from the plaster whole so I need to destroy it. Can anyone recommend something that will easily dissolve the powder? Manual extraction may damage the mold.

• Attachment: IMAG0253.jpg
    (Size: 92.32KB, Downloaded 34 time(s))

Re: Dissolve powder material [message #57615 is a reply to message #57611 ] Wed, 28 November 2012 16:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
What are you trying to achieve exactly ? Your post reads as if you wanted to
dissolve a rock-solid ceramics object while leaving brittle, water-soluble plaster
intact ? Shocked
Re: Dissolve powder material [message #57618 is a reply to message #57615 ] Wed, 28 November 2012 16:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
My objective was to create a reusable mold to cast parts in resin. I would've liked to keep the ceramic pattern but the two are are nearly fused together. I tested a portion of the plaster (speciality plaster not plaster of Paris). I could chip the ceramic away but it's slow and may damage the crucial parts of the mold. I would like to know what would wash it away.
Re: Dissolve powder material [message #57619 is a reply to message #57618 ] Wed, 28 November 2012 17:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to all my models
It sounds as if your pattern has undercuts. If this is so, then even if you could take it out of the mould you wouldn't be able take the mouldings unless you were casting rubber.

Bill Bedford
Re: Dissolve powder material [message #57626 is a reply to message #57618 ] Wed, 28 November 2012 17:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Not doable with readily available chemicals - and the really nasty stuff would not spare
your speciality plaster (nor you).
Re: Dissolve powder material [message #57635 is a reply to message #57619 ] Wed, 28 November 2012 23:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I need to present the mold for my final project . I was going to attempt to cast in resin but I could forget it if the mold was cleaned out and presentable looking.
Re: Dissolve powder material [message #57636 is a reply to message #57626 ] Wed, 28 November 2012 23:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Can you recommend something that might soften the material up? I am removing it with a dremel and it's tedious work with the chance of damaging the plaster.
Re: Dissolve powder material [message #57638 is a reply to message #57636 ] Wed, 28 November 2012 23:52 UTC Go to previous message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to all my models
You are just wasting your time.

Plaster is not the material you should be using to make moulds for resin. Resins need to be cast into silicone rubber. The best thing you could do is to break the mould off you ceramic piece and start again. If you search on the internet you can find recipes for converting cheap silicone caulking into something that can be used to make the mould from. But don't forget that whatever you use for you mould it will need some sort of release agent a/ to stop the mould sticking to the pattern and b/ to stop the castings sticking to the mould.

Bill Bedford

Previous Topic:Cleaning slime crystals of FUD?
Next Topic:Frosted Ultra Detail Painting. HELP!