Two Whistles

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by MichaelMueller, Nov 26, 2012.

1. MichaelMueller
    MichaelMueller Well-Known Member
    Hi,

I've made two more whistles ...
    The "Whistle of the Dead" is printed in stainless steel but for the Fox Whistle, I've tried silver glossy ... it's smooth and shiny! :)
    I've blackened it with bleach to get more contrast.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. bvr
    bvr Member
    Those are both great!
    bvr

3. AM3D
    AM3D Member
    They both look great! I didn't know you could blacken silver with bleach, that sounds interesting. Did you soak? Or rub on then off? I'd like to know your process if you don't mind sharing. :p

4. MichaelMueller
    MichaelMueller Well-Known Member
    Thank you!
    Using bleach is pretty simple. Just put the silver in a glass full of it and wait till it gets black. ;) I'm sure there are already a few threads about this here.
    After that, I've polished it and the engraved parts stay dark.
    There are a lot of ways to make it oxidize, like liver of sulphur, hard boiled eggs or electrolysis. I like it via bleach most cause it is easy to use and gets nice results. :)
    Michael

5. AM3D
    AM3D Member
    Thanks for explaining Michael, I'll have to give that a try sometime. :)

6. trishycakes
    trishycakes Member
    I love the fox whistle. The bleach actually gave it a nice patina and you did a great job with the polishing. If you wanted to go in to the recesses a little bit where the make lines are semi visible still, try a brass brush. That might give a softer effect.

Random note, if you do patina something make sure to give it a spray with some type of fixative to keep the patina from wearing off. A lot of guides miss that.

I wanna see these in action!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012