Home » Support » 3D Printing » Sculptris question, size of my 3D print
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Sculptris question, size of my 3D print [message #57463] Mon, 26 November 2012 01:48 UTC Go to next message
avatar alandevoe  is currently offline alandevoe
Go to all my models
I sculpted in Sculptris. Then I output to a OBJ file. When I uploaded to Shapeways, the size was 0 and the volume was 0.
How do I control the size (scale) of the output file? There don't seem to be any controls for looking at the dimensions.
There is a scale button in the program, but it doesn't seem to have associated dimensions.
Thanks for any help.
Alan

aland
Re: Sculptris question, size of my 3D print [message #57498 is a reply to message #57463 ] Mon, 26 November 2012 17:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
You can try opening it in Meshlab.. Import the .obj, click Show Layer Dialogue(Looks like a sheaf of papers) on the top menu bar. Then click Filters/Quality Measures and computations/Compute Geometric measurements. Values will show up at bottom of Layer Dialogue box

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Sculptris question, size of my 3D print [message #57502 is a reply to message #57463 ] Mon, 26 November 2012 17:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Sculptris doesn't do any sort of scale. You can do as Fredd suggests. I usually import my item into Blender to scale and hollow.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Sculptris question, size of my 3D print [message #57531 is a reply to message #57502 ] Tue, 27 November 2012 03:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
I agree with Michael about Blender. It has some good import/export options, along wtih some nice tools for 3D printing purposes. It is a big learning curve if you want to get really good at it, but for just the basics its easy. Besides there is good advice at #Blender on the irc channel Freenode.

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Sculptris question, size of my 3D print [message #57566 is a reply to message #57463 ] Tue, 27 November 2012 19:03 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Grab yourself a free copy of NetFabb Basic.
Load up your obj file.
You can then scale your model to get to the size you need.
To save the re-scaled model file, head to the Part menu and Export Part

index.php?t=getfile&id=23410&private=0

Paul

Previous Topic:Resolution and printing method for the fine detail plastic material?
Next Topic:Printing orientation for multiple small objects in a single file

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.