Egyptian God Ra in Sterling Silver

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by lensman, Nov 23, 2012.

1. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    My latest pendant in sterling silver (not Glossy). I modeled it hollow to save money, but the shell is about 2mm and solid in the upper head and beak areas. If you can make it out the circle on the bottom represents the Sun and the three circles up from it represent Mercury, Venus and Earth.

Model page here.

Glenn

ra pendant 1.jpg

ra pendant 3.jpg

2. SGDesigns
    SGDesigns Member
    Nice. How thick did you make it. Im thinking of making a pendant too, but not sure how thick I should go with. Definitely no less then 1mm. Are you gonna add patina or you prefer silver only?

3. lensman
    It's 2mm at its thinnest but using subtract with Dynamesh in ZBrush the prog makes allowances for the geometry and does not delete in areas like the beak which would have remained solid.

I made it with the intention of adding patina (hence not Glossy Silver which I though might take a patina better) but it was a gift and the recipient likes it as is. Still might try to convince her otherwise!

Glenn

4. SGDesigns
    SGDesigns Member
    Yeah, ive done patina to both silver and glossy silver and although both take patina well, the patina on glossy silver tends to stay a mid to dark grey and the patina on standard silver gets deep grey to black. Maybe because its more porous. My bandit skull ring should be coming in this Tuesday, im doing a two tone finish on that one, Glossy silver and matte finish. I cant wait...!

5. lensman
    Looking forward to seeing it. I haven't done the matte and glossy together yet.