Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » Need help with a seemingly simple job
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Need help with a seemingly simple job [message #57337] Fri, 23 November 2012 15:01 UTC Go to next message
avatar dkwinter  is currently offline dkwinter
Go to all my models
Hello 3-d modelers,

I have some colored images that I would like to turn into 3-D blocks printed by Shapeways in full-color sandstone. I have tried using the extrude feature of AccuTrans 3D but I run into the problem that the (understandable) result seems to be hundreds of parallel columns representing each color on the surface, rather than a single block with a multi-colored surface (if you follow..).

Put another way, what I want is analogous to printing someone's portrait in 2-D then cropping away the white background and turning it into a 3-D block that rather than being a box, is rectangular when viewed from the sides, but a silhouette from the front. The sides should have the color at the edge of the front surface in columns appearing as it would if the front surface was printed many times in 2-D and arranged as a stack.

I have some png images and screenshots that demonstrate what I'd like to obtain.

PM me for those files if you think you may be able to help. I can pay a reasonable fee via PayPal.

Thanks a lot & happy thanksgiving weekend!
Re: Need help with a seemingly simple job [message #57580 is a reply to message #57337 ] Wed, 28 November 2012 02:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar codexehow  is currently offline codexehow
Go to all my models
You could do this more organically in Zbrush. Create a cube, subdivide it a few times so you have enough resolution to work with and then load your image as a texture. Switch to "Standard" brush turn "Zadd" on. Then simply sculpt the image onto the surface.

Once you're done you can export the model in .STL format.

~Tommy

[Updated on: Wed, 28 November 2012 02:18 UTC]

www.tommycharlesportfolio.com
Re: Need help with a seemingly simple job [message #57584 is a reply to message #57580 ] Wed, 28 November 2012 03:22 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
So you just want to select the image, turn the selection into a path, export as a svg, extrude, then apply the color image on the face?

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith

Previous Topic:modeler needed for stop-motion character's head
Next Topic:Seeking Millenium Rod

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.