Recommended modeling software on the mac

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by 22678_deleted, Nov 23, 2012.

1. 22678_deleted
    22678_deleted Member
    I'm quite fascinated about this 3D printing stuff :) . Therefore, I'd like to do some stuff on my own. I worked with 3DSmax a few years ago but today I've become a Mac user. Therefore I no longer can use 3DS without installing Windows (which I won't do anyway).

Do you have any suggestions what type of software for the mac is professional enough to create high resolution objects in a format that can be understood by shapeways. As a first project I'd like to create an emblem with a diameter of about 4 cm.

Thanks
    Tom

2. bvr
    bvr Member
    toom,
    It really depends on what you wish to create. I also use a mac. I use cad software for most of the things I make. Blender(free) is what I use for cleaning up the mess cad software makes(duplicate vertices and faces) I recently tried out zbrush, if you are into organic modeling it would seem to be the tool for the job. But there are also many other programs. For sure get a copy of netfabb(free), it does a great job of repairing the issues you will run into once you think your model is finished. Also, pay close attention to the material guides for what mat'l. you plan on printing to.

bvr

3. I've just started using Bonzai3D. It looks very good - as easy as Sketchup but with true solid modeling . Also has nurbs for organic stuff.

4. victorrings
    victorrings Well-Known Member
    blender
    blender
    blender
    blender
    blender
    blender
    blender
    blender
    blender
    blender