Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Painting colorless sandstone model
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Painting colorless sandstone model [message #57277] Thu, 22 November 2012 14:26 UTC Go to next message
avatar montyman77  is currently offline montyman77
Go to all my models
Does anyone know if it is possible to paint a sandstone model? If so what kind of paint would I get?
Re: Painting colorless sandstone model [message #57391 is a reply to message #57277 ] Sat, 24 November 2012 21:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dragoman  is currently offline Dragoman
Go to my shop
Most types of hobby or artists paints should work (e.g.acrylics or enamels)

Main problem will be that the material is rather porous, so it soaks up paint, unless you prime it really well.

Greetings
Dragoman
Re: Painting colorless sandstone model [message #84928 is a reply to message #57391 ] Sat, 15 February 2014 08:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Lion240  is currently offline Lion240
Go to my shop
Dragoman wrote on Sat, 24 November 2012 21:12

Most types of hobby or artists paints should work (e.g.acrylics or enamels)

Main problem will be that the material is rather porous, so it soaks up paint, unless you prime it really well.

Greetings
Dragoman

Hi. If I have an item printed in multicolor sandstone and I wanted to give a clear varnish to make it shiny, I should use a transparent primer, but I would not risk ruining the object's colors?
Thank you.
Re: Painting colorless sandstone model [message #84931 is a reply to message #84928 ] Sat, 15 February 2014 10:21 UTC Go to previous message
avatar HOLDEN8702  is currently offline HOLDEN8702
Go to my shop
Hi.

I'm anxious waiting my first robots in full color sandstone to try clear varnish and diferent coats and shades. (next week, yeah!)

This man have made it and the results is very promising

https://www.shapeways.com/model/880395/portal-pressure-butto n-coaster.html?li=feed&materialId=26

and somebody writes long time ago this interesting post

https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=392 21&srch=sandstone+color+test#msg_39221

I hope this help you. But best is to do a coat test in the base or in a hidden place. Some varnish could mix with the original ink.

regards

Luis

Previous Topic:Painting a pWSF ring for long term use?
Next Topic:Getting your bronze to be shiny